Why are people so weird?

Pics
I charge. Feed is expensive. I just tell everyone $5 (cdn) for fresh, free range eggs from happy chickens. I give them a small credit on their next dozen if they return the carton. Never had a problem, especially when I tell them organic feed is $30 a bag.

Once you give eggs away, the recipients think it's an always thing. People used to use a phrase -something about being as cheap as chicken feed. Well, it ain't cheap anymore. They don't realize I go through $20 a week for food, even free ranging. These are the same people who think nothing of trespassing in order to pick your peaches, that were just placed there by God, for whomever finds them first.

Explain to them that chicken feed costs money, and how much it costs to get them to laying age, and the egg price from you is cheaper than "free range" eggs in the store. Also, a $1 deposit on the carton?

I offer my eggs below market and very reasonable. ($3.00) I don't make money but it helps with feed. I sometimes give the first dozen free. I'm pretty lucky at getting my boxes back, but I do ask often as I see people.

Here is my story.

Our neighbors and family do not ask for eggs. Family doesn't ask we just ask them if they would like some eggs, so we give them a carton of eggs. Neighbor behind us we ask them the same question. If we get too many stocked up that is when we ask them. Our neighbor has on several occasions have bought us a bag of feed and left it on our back deck without coming onto the enclosed deck as a surprise. Everybody that received eggs always returns the carton. Here eggs are going for about 3.00 dollars a carton. Neighbor across the road has chickens, goats etc and they set up a stand in their driveway when they sell theirs. We don't sell ours but some other neighbors wanted to pay for them. That is fine if they want but we didn't ask them to.

Nice. Have you done this before? Does it work well? I was thinking about showing up with some eggs to the peach/cherry stand and offering a trade. I'm not sure how it will go over, but I'd love some fresh produce and I'm happy to trade some eggs.
That sounds like the best idea to me... Then when the friends/family freebie plan people come, tell them your "fresh out"! (and ask for your cartons back)...

Back
Top Bottom