Why are people telling me we need a rooster for eggs??

Mine lay even better without a roo than they do with one :gig Guess no one ever explained to the girls that they shouldn't be laying. You should see the mysifiied look on people's faces when they buy eggs and realize I have no rooster. How can that be?? LOL. Then when you do have a rooster, they think they're going to crack an egg and have a half formed chick fall out :he

This is what I thought... No rooster, no chick... Just a basic egg. Good, then hopefully our hens will be very happy without a male roommate. At least until maybe he's ordered next spring...

Last edited:
Don't need one for eggs. But I will say, he does keep peace if they get upset with each other or introduce new hens to the group. I have seen them starting to fight in the hen house(My 2 Delawares seem to think they can be the only ones in there when they want to lay) and have actually seen him go in there and run the Delaware out of the hen house. Pretty amazing. Plus I really do like the sound of my rooster crowing. I make him crow sometimes by playing a rooster call on my phone. Pretty funny.
lol.png

barnie.gif
I actually thought the same thing until my mother-in-law set me straight. I don't want to eat eggs that might be a chick but my husband proved to me that I couldn't tell the difference! I will say though that we do need a rooster to protect our hens. We live in the country surrounded on 3 sides by fields and hawks and falcons are a problem as are owls. I even lost a chick to a snake last year and almost lost momma cause she fought the snake off so it wouldn't get another chick. The roosters definitely keep behaviors under control! I'm not sure of the situation where you live but if it is out in the country you should consider getting a rooster. Even in the suburbs you have to worry about dogs and coons! Welcome to the flock and the art of raising chickens! I hope you are very pleased with your girls when they come.

A little off topic, but in my area, people think that fertilized eggs taste better. I think that's a bunch of chicken poop, but everyone has their opinions. I do like my rooster, he keeps the hawks at bay, or keeps the hens on the run from them. I will get rid of him if he gets nasty. I have no problem with my hens laying, with or without the rooster!!!

IMHO, I think fertilized eggs taste better. I keep roosters around for protection and for chicks, but there is no need to have one in order to have eggs. And yes I realize some people will respond negatively to my statement about fertilized eggs tasting better so that is why I state as only an opinion.

IMHO, I think fertilized eggs taste better. I keep roosters around for protection and for chicks, but there is no need to have one in order to have eggs. And yes I realize some people will respond negatively to my statement about fertilized eggs tasting better so that is why I state as only an opinion.

We can't argue with a person's opinion.

You will have to set up a Pepsi challenge with fertilized and unfertilized eggs to see if people can taste the difference. I think with cooked eggs it would be difficult to taste a difference, even if there was a difference to begin with. And most people put salt, pepper, or other seasonings on their eggs.

I like eggs scrambled with cheese and salsa.

Back
Top Bottom