Why are swans so expensive?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by ChristineR, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I have a natural pond on my property that covers about an acre. I thought it would be fun to get a pair of swans to add to my ducks. Holy cow! They're so expensive! Why??? Are they hard to breed?

Does anyone know of somewhere to get them for less than thousands of dollars?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you get them as babies they are less expensive. Look for a breeder near you. It takes a lot of time to raise up the babies.... Lots of greens, lots of care...... I like the Black swans as far as personality and willingness to get along with other birds. They are also the least expensive..... Averaging $150 - $350 each cygnet typically.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    They wont start to mate til they are at least 3 years old. They take a higher protein feed wise. They should have lots of greens as well.

4. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Hi Ed! [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Mute swans are also regulated in many states by the department of natural resources because they are considered an invasive species, so that effects the supply of mutes some. Some states will not allow you to bring new mute swans into the state. Black swans,BTW, are considered to be exotics and are not regulated by the DNR in most places. Finding a local or smaller breeder will save you a lot of money. Many larger business will buy the swans from smaller breeders and then resell them for more money. Also, swan eggs are more difficult to incubate.

I think the cygnets are pretty cute.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    In addition to all of this, they are seasonal breeders so it's not like you can raise them year round. And, with some breeds, you have to pay to have them DNA sexed and to be legal, and so your investment doesn't just fly away someday, they have to be pinioned. When you add it all together they are very expensive to raise.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That Cygnet is adorable [​IMG]

8. ChristineR

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Oh my gosh! That is the sweetest thing ever! What type of cygnet is that?

9. Mark HSV-AL

Mark HSV-AL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    The cost of swans and any other bird is usually determined by availability, difficulty of care and difficulty in rearing young. Swans take 4 or 5 years to lay any eggs and when when they do it is a small clutch and then you have to raise these small cygnets to adult sized birds. When taken care of properly they need to be on water as soon as possible so as to avoid bow legs and to attain good feather. This takes a lot of time, effort and patience so the cost is higher than an embden goose which is going to raise every year, lay lots of eggs and is designed to walk on land.

10. ChristineR

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Ah, then that makes sense why they are so much. I didn't realize they were so much different from other waterfowl. I'll keep my eyes open locally. I would still love to get a pair and I have the ideal place for them on my beaver pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by