Why are the yolks very pale?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dusty1, Aug 22, 2010.

1. dusty1

dusty1 Hatching

Apr 29, 2009
    Aberdeenshire
    Hi everyone, untill recently all my hens have produced lovely dark yellow/orange yolks, but now every egg has a very pale yolk. Can anyone advise as to what it might be. Last month we lost our rooster so the hens eggs are now not fertilised, I also have cut back on the tit bits that I have spoiled them with and they are mainly on layer pellets and some mixed grains which they have always had. They are never without fresh water. I am confused as to why the yolk colour has changed. The hens themselves seem happy enough. Has anyone any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Hi! Long time no see!

Have you changed brand of feed at all? Maybe they have eaten all the grass in their area? Might be worth thinking back on what tit-bits you used to feed them that you don't now to see if that might be what they are missing - it is usually the green stuff that makes the yolks orange. Hope that helps.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

I'm thinking more and varied tidbits or free-ranging. Don't think the lack of rooster has anything to do with it.

4. kano

kano Songster

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    They need green. Grass, leaves , vegetables, some carrots . Table leftovers.....

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    If they are not free ranging, then you need to give them 'greens' every day.
    Grass, weeds, off cuts from your vegetables, leaves, milk weed, dandelions,
    anything that you can find. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: