Why are their stomachs like bottomless pits?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DeepDishChix, Feb 6, 2016.

1. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    They dont have a feeder, I just give them their food on the floor. I see them attacking the food and scratching it around with their feet. They are EE's, and they're pretty small. Thanks for all the reply's! [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    scratch doesn't have much protein usually under 10% so like percheron chick said they could be making up for that protein because anytime you add something lower in protein to their diet it lowers the total protein in their food, scratch is also used mainly as a treat and should not be used for more than 10% of their feed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet you have rodents eating the feeds. Five cups of feed is a lot of feed for a chicken, even for the dual purpose breed.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    5 cups is only about 30 oz. 30 oz is only 2.5 oz per hen. Unless they're free ranging that's not enough. You are wasting alot dumping it on the ground. You don't need a chicken feeder but put it in something. I use dog bowls and (horse) 3 gal feed pans.

5. penchick

penchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Have they been wormed??

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

OP said 2 hens, 5 cups is unrealistic for two hens.

7. penchick

penchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Hi, have you wormed them?? Do they seem out of condition? Drab feathers? Listless? Worming them could be the answer. I feed my flock 3 x a day, little and often. This enables them to clear any food leaving no leftovers for potential pests. You might consider traps incase you do have rodents' stealing food. Hope you get this problem sorted soon.

8. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    We did have a rodent problem with rats climbing in the trees and they were eating the leftover feed at night. We have already killed them all off, so it's not rodents. I'm pretty sure they don't have worms. There is some scratch scattered around in front of their cage that they can't get to. Maybe they want to eat that? They have gotten better, but whenever I walk past they run back and forth. Sometime they even have extra food on the floor. [​IMG]

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    They associate people with food, they're going to do that no matter if they're hungry or not much like a begging dog. I would free feed with a full feeder of some sort in a area where rodents aren't likely to bother it and see how they do after a couple days of that

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by