Why are there so many ordinances against keeping chickens?

Guitartists

Resistance is futile
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Michigan
What is the big stink about chickens and rabbits?? It seems many places have ordinances just for these. Are they commonly a problem? I realize in some cities, etc, that controling chickens helps to cut down on illegal cock fighting and the like, but surely this cannot be the reason in small towns. And if it's the noise, why not just limit it to hens. When did this beef with chickens begin and what is behind it? Was it to discourage people from raising their own food? I have seen ordinances that also prohibit growing crops in town. Does anyone know what started all this anti-chicken thinking??

Maybe if we can pinpoint the reason, it will allow for a better arguement against it.

here's my theory:
I believe it was all part of the desire around the 40s-60s to become more "modern" and less "backwards". Folks were moving to towns and wanting to distance themselves from a perceived inferior way of life (rural self-sufficiency). At the same time we as a nation also started buying all the new, most modern, white, processed foods, too. Surely scientists in clean laboratories could produce healthier foods than some dirty old farmers!!! That mindset also produced ordinances against growing crops or livestock in towns, as towns tried to become more "modern" and clean...

Now there's a realization that self-sufficiency is GOOD for everyone, the planet, communities, etc. Just like we're realizing that whole wheat bread and whole veggies are better than Wonder bread and TV dinners. Hopefully more and more towns will realize this and repeal the silly ordinances.

Just my 2 cents.

My guess is that most people think chickens are dirty. And in a lot of cases they are. We have to admit that there are plenty of people who keep chickens in nasty conditions.

The powers-that-be need to be educated on how to keep chickens properly, and they need to be shown that chickens can be as clean as any other pet, when cared for properly.

I can't tell you how often people say things like "ewww. Chickens are nasty!" We need to do some more chicken PR.

Cause people suck, to put it simply.
big_smile.png

People are the dirty ones, then we try to eradicate all the good bacteria out of fear and create super bugs and bacteria so we can eventually just eradicate ourselves.

Most of the people I work with think that chickens stink and are disease ridden.

I tell them politely but firmly that is the fault of the person caring for them. Like any living animal kept confined it does have to be cleaned up after; if the owner/farmer is cleaning out the coop and actually taking care of the chickens the chickens themselves are not dirty and actually help keep your yard freer of bugs.

chickens stink and are disease ridden.

And you can say the exact same thing about dogs and/or cats that are not properly cared for. I've seen plenty of dogs I wouldn't touch because they were so grossly filthy.​

I live in Montville, and its a pretty smally town, mostly rural and I have chickens and sheep, I havn't had a problem yet, but I know that you have to have atleast 5 acres to have a caged rabbit now! How riduclus is that! Luckily I have barley any neighbors and the ones I do have don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom