Why are these so expensive?

I am still looking at what breed I want, I aways overanilize when it comes to animals. I probally do too much research
he.gif

So I keep looking at hatching eggs everywhere, & came across this ebay auction.
Looking at:
turken
jersey giant
delaware
chantecler
barnevelder
Holland
Lavender Orp

But haven't commited to any yet ( amazing I am married
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
word
Watch how the chocolate wyandotte and orpington fad is now that some have been imported into the states... In 3 years, I'll be able to buy some chox wyandottes at a decent price. I am patient.
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
word
Watch how the chocolate wyandotte and orpington fad is now that some have been imported into the states... In 3 years, I'll be able to buy some chox wyandottes at a decent price. I am patient.
cool.png

I bet you can get them very reasonable this coming summer....

Quote:
word
cool.png

LF Buff wyandottes are on my short list also. Black, chox, buff. Now, there's a niche.

Same reason "labradoodles", "puggles", "cockapoos", and "chiweenies" are really expensive. They're fashionable and if you own one, you're one of the cool kids.
roll.png

Now, where I'm at, nobody wants rare or unusual. As far as the old-timers are concerned, there are five kinds of chickens in existence: "Dominickers", Leghorns, Rhode Island Red, fighting chickens (anything that resembles a game), and "Bantys". I ordered a couple hundred chicks in the spring to sell at my farmer's market stand, and thought I'd get in something different than what the feed store had, so I got Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, red sexlinks, and gold laced Wyandottes. People who knew nothing about chickens just wanted some of each color, and when I told them about the blue/green eggs, the EEs were a hit with them. The old timers wanted Dominickers and Reds. They didn't know about sexlinks, so I told them those would be about the same thing as Rhode Island Red and they were happy with them. When I described the Buff Orpington and the Wyandotte to them, they looked at me like I was making stuff up. A few people asked me if I had any "Anacondas" for sale.

Quote:
word
cool.png

Love to get a cockerel. I could breed him to my black hens and in a few generations have all chox.

Quote:
haha,

you ought to try to explain 30 some odd colors of d'anvers to them.... they say that aint a d'anver That's a Belgian Quail, they dont realize quail is just a color, same with millie fluers, that's the entire breed of d'uccles to them, no other colors can exist.

Then Lord dont tell them you have bantam phoenix with 4 foot tails...haha yep when you deal with the old timmers... they will give you some odd ball looks when you try to tell them anything.... Especially when you tell them their years of calling something one thing isnt really right

Black Copper Marans took a fast drop, because so many people bought them just to resell them. Now they are as common as hatchery chickens. Nothing dropped as fast as the Coronation Sussex, tho. I think they only took 6 months to drop down to ordinary levels.

Back
Top Bottom