Why are they so noisy?!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I have an all male group of Chinese Painted Quails in my aviary for a few years. They all get on fine and everything has been great up until this week.

About 2 months back one quail got a disease like fowl pox all over its feet and legs and, despite treatment, and showing some signs of getting better, it suddenly got a lot worse, with large corns growing on its toes and it was not able to walk at all and I had to euthanise it earlier this week.

Then a few days ago one of the quails was eaten by a predator in the nigh.... such a random thing, as if must have been sleeping right up to the aviary mesh at the only place there was a very small hole in the wire (which i only noticed when i looked for the missing bird as saw a ring of feathers around the hole).

Since that day the 3 remaining quails have been constantly crowing and calling..... none stop... day and night. At first I thought they were calling for the missing bird, but its been over a week now and they won't stop. I can't believe how loud they are... and we cant sleep as we can hear them in our bedroom.... and i am worried the neighbours will complain soon!!!

What is going on with them? I have had them over 3 years now and they have never been so noisy before.

I was thinking of adding a female each for the males, but I so worried that will cause problems like them fighting each other.

What does anyone think I good idea would be now.... to get them to quiet down.

PS... I have fixed the hole in the aviary mesh... and also put extra wire all around the base of the aviary in a double layer to prevent further attacks on the quail if they snuggle up to the wire at night.

I'm sorry about your other quail. They are very social creatures and they do mourn over the loss of friends. Getting them each a female would probably help, but is their enclosure secure from predators now? You wouldn't want to put more birds at risk.

It sounded like enough space, i say get them each a female. :thumbsup

They are calling for a mate....and they will continue until one is found. It will be a 'toss up' if you introduce hens to the males. They may or may not get along. If you choose to get more females just be sure you have other enclosures to separate any problem birds.

Back
Top Bottom