Why are they squaking the egg laying song???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Teresaann24, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have 3 silkie hens that are 25 weeks old and still no eggs. They have been doing the Egg laying squak like they are so proud they laid a wonder egg. When I check nothing!! They have been doing this for the past month or so. Will i see eggs soon or am i not going to see eggs till spring comes?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You will see them soon. I know if feels like forever, but it will be soon.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I hope so! It sure does feel like I have been waiting forever because I have raised all my silkies from chicks and over the summer I only had one hen laying..LOL

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I got up and opened the door to let the dog out this morning it sounded like there was a massacre going on in my coop. I of course ran out to check.
    Three hens all doing the egg song and the rooster providing the barotone backup. [​IMG]
    I think you'll see eggs before too much longer.

5. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    The way my hens carry on when laying an egg you would think they were barbwire wrapped! One is really quite the drama queen of the layers.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Awwww, they're just happy to be alive and singing. Maybe they're getting in the holiday spirit.... falalalala!!! [​IMG]

I'm convinced mine are operatic chickens. They do love to cut loose and warble, especially the silkies. They seem to sing for no reason other than sheer joy of life. My broody is the only quiet silkie at the moment and she does her share of singing the few minutes she allows herself off the coop. Maybe she's scared of waking up the eggs? [​IMG]

Happy chickens are singing chickens!

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I know what you mean mine sounds like something is killing them and I always go running out they are all just strutting around. The rooster even does his kinda warning squak along with there ladies. Its really starting to drive me nuts...LOL

Now we have prowling roosters comeing from the people who live next to us who have HUGE roosters who like to come over and watch my ladies. My roos go crazy..LOL The girls seem to like the loverboys from nextdoor..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by