Why Are You Raising Chickens?

I was given an ex-battery hen (quite a few years ago now!) and I just wanted to give her a good life. My garden was tiny; she never laid one edible egg, but she was a delight to watch.

Fast forward: moved to a house with a garden 10 times the size and decided to utilise the old coop (well, an Eglu) from the ex-batt days. Bought 3 bantams convincing dh the eggs would be lovely and worth the effort.

Now have 13 hens, 3 ducks, 2 ducklings and 5 duck eggs incubating (3 of those under a broody bantam).

They are a food source, a total delight to watch and therapy
big_smile.png

Hi....I've always loved chickens from a child on and thought hey, why not?...the eggs will be a bonus.
smile.png
Don't have my chicks till May, but am anxiously waiting like an expectant Mother....lol

We lived in the country for a year and had chickens. Then when we moved, we wanted to keep having them! That's when we learned about backyard chickens :), and adopted three hens, a red star, Luna (still alive today!), a EE, Apolla, and a Production Red, Redtail. We had them for several years before we really got into chickens, when we decided we needed more. So, us, still newbie's, really, got four white leghorn chicks. However we neglected to give them a raccon safe proof coop, and three were killed in one night by a raccoon. :( :( :( We now have a very safe coop, and the remaining one is alive today, Sage. Then, of course, we wanted more, to keep the lone chick company. We got two black star chicks! Now all are grown up, and a few months ago, we added a EE and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Now we want a BCM ;)

But really, we have chickens for pets! They are definitally my #1 pet. Second for the eggs :)

Originally we were raising the chicks so my children could watch them grow for several weeks and then the chickens would live at my in-law's farm. My children convinced me that we needed to keep some of them in our backyard. We are currently trying to figure out what type of coop to put in our backyard for the four chicks that will live with us. The rest of the chicks will still be living at the farm.

Two years ago you could buy a calf for $200 a piece. Now the local price is $2.00 per lb. That means a 600 lb calf is going for $1,200.
That is a 600 percent inflation increase in two years. Raising egg layers provides inexpensive protein and makes more sense to me. And there is a lot of different recipes to keep a variety going.

Fresh eggs, more pets, a unique hobby and a 4-H project for my daughter. Also, daughter was romanticizing the fact that I collected eggs from our hens when I was her age. She wanted to be just like me. I didn't fully appreciate my childhood experience until now. LOL!

I agree. Inflation and a quality source of protein is the main reason for me. Also they are just too darn fun and we are enjoying them so very much. We will be eating more eggs dishes at supper time and less meat which is getting so expensive to buy.

I have always wanted chickens! We have a small garden and now 6 hens. I love being able to teach my children to be self-sufficient and about where their food comes from. They both (11 and 3) help in the garden and with the chickens and love it. It's not a chore to them! I can't wait until they can tell their children and grandchildren about these experiences. They seem to be so far gone nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom