Why are your runs so TALL?

Pics
Those of you with longer runs...I understand why you need it human-sized for the area near the coop, etc. But if you need a larger run, why not make the rest of it shorter and save on construction costs?
Access.
Access for maintenance, to retrieve eggs, to retrieve a dead or sick chicken.
I have two runs that are only two foot high and I made them with hinged lids so I still have access.

Those of you with longer runs...I understand why you need it human-sized for the area near the coop, etc. But if you need a larger run, why not make the rest of it shorter and save on construction costs?
Because I want easy access to the entire run without bashing my head on the underside of the roof.
I made the back side of my run roof 4' tall and I still have to stoop on that side of the run so I stopped bashing my head. Having the roof that low at the rear of the run does make it easier to pull heavy snow off of it when I need to.
Flock in run.jpg

Because I'm 5'8 and not going to crawl under 2 foot tall chicken pen to get an egg lol

Access.
Access for maintenance, to retrieve eggs, to retrieve a dead or sick chicken.
I have two runs that are only two foot high and I made them with hinged lids so I still have access.
Seeing @DobieLover’s post reminded me of another reason: so you can hang out with your chickens.
I too have a chair in one of my full height runs and a tree stump in the other. It is very enjoyable to hang out in there with them.

Until last week, none of my runs was taller than 4-foot high. When some friends came to help me build a new run, one of them decided it would be nice to build the section near the pop door taller so I don't have to bend down to get inside.

It's a thing of beauty, but it also made the build more complex, since only the first 4 feet of the run is taller; the rest is my standard 4-foot. And, it required more hardware cloth because of the design.

When they return to make another run later this month, I think we will go with all 4-foot high. My 5-foot-4-inch tall frame can easily bend down to save money on lumber and hardware cloth.

My poultry all free range during the day when I'm home, and if they want to spend time with me, there's a great concrete bench where I can sit -- and they can beg for treats!

Yes, that. The scar still itches.

Also, I'm 58 and neither my back nor my knees are what they used to be.

Before I put a floor on my 4-foot brooder I could, at least, just roll it on it's side to do the cleaning. Now that I've had snake problems and had to put in that floor, it's torture to be in there bent over shoveling. :(

Back
Top Bottom