1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why aren't my chickens laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acre of Blessings, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have yet to figure this out. I have 18 hens that will soon be 5 1/2 to 6 months old and I am only getting two eggs per week. I poicked up chickens for 2 other people and they are getting more eggs than they have chickens. [​IMG]

They get their feed in the morning which now is layer pellets packed by WINNER feeds and they get plenty of water, I throw out fruit scraps when I have them, they get plenty of light and excercise (due to the fact I fenced in a 1/2 acre for them).

What is the problem? What am I doing wrong? I am getting really [​IMG] about this beings I am forking out money for feed and getting nothing in return. [​IMG]

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any advice would be great.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Because they aren't mature yet. Sounds like your rushing things...

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Chris is right - chickens will lay when they are darned ready to. 6 months is the average, but some lay at 4 months and some at 8. Be patient and enjoy the humor they bring in the meantime.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have to agree, young pullets just don't start kicking out eggs full time til they get some maturity on them. Atleast mine never have, and I've had quite a few breeds of chickens.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    They'll lay when they're ready... But they sure are great entertainment in the meantime. [​IMG]

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yeah, but it's torture waiting for that first egg!!! I think it's a conspiracy...
    Ha!!
    (I'm still waiting for mine...My girls are 19 weeks old.)

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    21 weeks and no sign of eggs

On the plus side, I may have the world's only eggless chickens. It would answer the "what came first" question anyway.

Mine are messing with my head and they're totally doing it on purpose.
    :thun

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

But when you have gotton someone else the exact same kind of chicken as you have and they are the exact same age and you picked them up for them and they are laying oodles of eggs and yours are standing there just begging for food and you get no eggs, it's like [​IMG] .

I know good things come to those who wait, but I'm glad I ain't starving [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they are related to my chickens

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm having that problem with two of my Golden Comets, Angela. Two of them have been laying for over a month now and the other two I have yet to see an egg from. I think chickens are like kids in a way. They all mature and grow at different rates. I remember MissPrissy posting once about a Blue Orp. of hers, I think it was Bonnie, taking forever to lay an egg. I think she finally layed her first egg somewhere around 25 weeks if I remember correctly. Hang in there! They will be laying eggs before you know it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by