Why aren't my chickens laying eggs?

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I have yet to figure this out. I have 18 hens that will soon be 5 1/2 to 6 months old and I am only getting two eggs per week. I poicked up chickens for 2 other people and they are getting more eggs than they have chickens.
barnie.gif

They get their feed in the morning which now is layer pellets packed by WINNER feeds and they get plenty of water, I throw out fruit scraps when I have them, they get plenty of light and excercise (due to the fact I fenced in a 1/2 acre for them).

What is the problem? What am I doing wrong? I am getting really
somad.gif
about this beings I am forking out money for feed and getting nothing in return.
barnie.gif

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any advice would be great.

Chris is right - chickens will lay when they are darned ready to. 6 months is the average, but some lay at 4 months and some at 8. Be patient and enjoy the humor they bring in the meantime.

I have to agree, young pullets just don't start kicking out eggs full time til they get some maturity on them. Atleast mine never have, and I've had quite a few breeds of chickens.

21 weeks and no sign of eggs

On the plus side, I may have the world's only eggless chickens. It would answer the "what came first" question anyway.

Mine are messing with my head and they're totally doing it on purpose.
:thun

Quote:
I agree
smile.png

But when you have gotton someone else the exact same kind of chicken as you have and they are the exact same age and you picked them up for them and they are laying oodles of eggs and yours are standing there just begging for food and you get no eggs, it's like
barnie.gif

I know good things come to those who wait, but I'm glad I ain't starving
gig.gif

I'm having that problem with two of my Golden Comets, Angela. Two of them have been laying for over a month now and the other two I have yet to see an egg from. I think chickens are like kids in a way. They all mature and grow at different rates. I remember MissPrissy posting once about a Blue Orp. of hers, I think it was Bonnie, taking forever to lay an egg. I think she finally layed her first egg somewhere around 25 weeks if I remember correctly. Hang in there! They will be laying eggs before you know it!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom