why aren't my chickens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickabator, May 19, 2008.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have 12 rir's and 1 has been laying just about everyday but none of the others are, they all are almost 26 weeks old now they get plenty to eat and fresh water along with greens ect. is something wrong with my girls? Also my barred rocks have been laying for about a month now, I have 16 of them we were getting 15 eggs a day for awhile and now we are down to 8 a day, they are being fed the same things as always but we did have a cold spell here and it has been quite rainey for the past few days could that be what has slowed them down?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Are they broody? It's spring and time for chickens to want to hatch....

3. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Because they're lay-ze, hahaha
    They lay when they lay. Sometimes weeks or even months apart. Be patient. (Or don't and go nutso like the rest of us)

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    Too late I already have:barnie oh and they will be 24 weeks old wednesday I mis calculated how old they were:he

5. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    This winter mine really slowed down. I normally get 12-16 eggs a day. I was getting 1 or 2! I thought something was getting the eggs, like a snake or something. I have a shop light on a timer in their coop. I lengthened the time the light was on by 2 hours and BAM! 12 -16 eggs a day. I think light has a lot to do with laying so the cloudy days might be your problem.

6. I have RIRs .They were a year old on April 21,and I thought they would never start laying, But along came about aug of last year they hit their stride and haven't stopped yet.I have12 hens and get a doz aday. My fridge is packed with eggs. Don't give up,They will start. marrie

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Does egg production slow down because of hens going broody, I have 5 she-devils right now and my eggs have almost stopped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by