Why aren't my guinea hens laying?

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
I have 9 guinea hens and only get 2 eggs a day. Is there something wrong with their food? They are currently on layer mash with mixed grains and pellets in it. 2 hens are turning three years old, 6 are almost two years old and the youngest will be one in January. I know the youngest one is laying. Some of the others feel heavy like they're laying but we don't get enough eggs. I've looked all over the yard for a nest and found none. Sometimes they go to lay an egg but no egg comes out.

Thank you. They started laying at the end of September. I've just worked out that we have been restricting their feed this year to save money but last year we didn't. I've also crushed some pellets as that's the only way they will eat them and hopefully we'll get more eggs. When guinea hens get older do they start laying later?

Mine just started laying last week and today we got ice/snow. So I would guess the one or two that started will stop. Another question is if the others will start or wait until spring?

Back
Top Bottom