Why aren't my hens laying eggs?

AllThoseFloofs

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hi! I have 7 hens. One Silver Laced Wyandotte, one Barred Rock, one silkie, one mystery chicken-possibly Americana?, (19 weeks), and 3 Olive Eggers (15 weeks). I know the Olive Eggers and Silkie shouldn't be laying quite yet. But, the other four haven't laid one single egg. I'm not necessarily concerned about it, but I'm a first-time chicken owner and want to make sure there's nothing Im doing that's preventing them from laying. They get locked up in their coop at night that has nesting boxes on the ground and up high, and free range in a large fenced in area (that they can easily and safely leave if they want, the fence is mostly for my ducks) during the day. They share their coop with 6 call ducks, but they've never had problems getting along. We haven't had any predator issues since we've had them, and they have crushed oyster shells available to them. Is there anything I could improve?

They're still too young.
22-27 weeks is average, they may not lay this year.
What's their diet?
Thank you! I've read online that the average age for them to start laying is 16-18 weeks, but after seeing your reply, I now realize that I misunderstood that information. As for their diet, I'm currently transitioning them from Dumor chick starter/grower to Dumor layer pellets. They also get scratch grain while they are free ranging.

Thank you! I've read online that the average age for them to start laying is 16-18 weeks, but after seeing your reply, I now realize that I misunderstood that information. As for their diet, I'm currently transitioning them from Dumor chick starter/grower to Dumor layer pellets. They also get scratch grain while they are free ranging.
Hybrids bred for laying might start that early but usually not other breeds. :]

Back
Top Bottom