Why aren't my hens laying well?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl1304, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I have 15 hens that are old enough to lay. 1 rooster and 29 pullets. RIRs, barred rocks. i have them pinned now until my garden is done. They are only giving 5-8 eggs a day! my questions are:

How much and what do you feed your laying hens? I buy 50# bags of poultry feed and they eat it as they please. As well as a lot of vegetable waste (we own a restaurant)

If a few of the pullets are roosters could this be throwing them off? The pullets are 6 weeks old.

I have 1 turkey in with them. Would this bother them? She doesn't seem to bother them.

What do you feed and how much? If your hens are pinned.

Thank you! I just am spending quite a bit of money on feed and am not getting many eggs...I love my chickens but man lol :)

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Make sure you have good laying mash or pellets, Veggies are great ! Give them at night as a treat, not in the mornings (spoiled like kids) I leave a big bowl out for them. if they are not eating all of it ,you will know you fed them too much !. But leave it out for them. I am only guessing a cup per chicken. How old are they? they may start to molt, or weather is changing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by