Why aren't my hens laying?

QuailTail

Songster
Aug 21, 2021
NSW Mid North Coast, Australia
Hey everyone!
So I've had my covey for 1 month now and only one hen is laying (so far as I can tell based on the eggs, of which I get 1 a day).
I'm getting 14hrs of daylight here in Australia at the moment, with days getting longer, so that shouldn't be the issue.
Are there any other reasons why the other ladies wouldn't have started laying yet?
Thanks!

How long have they been in their new location? It's normal for them to take a couple of weeks to start laying again after a move. 14 hours is the minimum amount of light they need to lay, so you should start getting more as the days get longer.

How long have they been in their new location? It's normal for them to take a couple of weeks to start laying again after a move. 14 hours is the minimum amount of light they need to lay, so you should start getting more as the days get longer.
They've been here for 1 month and the single hen has been laying for about 1 1/2 weeks now. They're on a game bird layer feed so their protein levels should be fine as well 👌

What is the calcium level of their feed? It won't hurt to offer some oyster or egg shell on the side.

I would be patient, though, and wait for the days to get a bit longer.
I'll have to double check the calcium in their feed, but I do give them shell grit as well so hopefully that's all good!

Just went out to check on them and I've got 3 eggs today! :wee I moved my 2 roos into male jail because one was picking on the other, and then the other was picking on one of the hens. I wonder if the 2 new layers are due to this change.. 🤔 Maybe all the fighting was stressing them out.
20211020_155052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom