Why aren't my hens laying?

City Chicks 13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
This is the background info: 7 hens(4 less than a year, 3 probably spent hens), fed layer food and treats, and light on at night. The older hens were laying great then stopped for molting so I added some pullets to help with production. The hens never started again. Two of the pullets started to lay then stared egg eating and stopped laying. I have had chickens for 7 years and I never had this happen till now. I have had hens stop laying but they were at least 8. What is going on?!

I don't think they are over weigh. Winter has started but I put a light (not a heat lamp) in the coop an night. I can't think there are things stressing them out unless the foxes got bolder and go over our 8ft fence that fences in the yard, but I'm no seeing any breaches in the fenced in run. Again they are fed a complete layer diet. Any more info needed?

Are they free range? You might have to go looking for them if they are. Sometimes they can hide them very well even in a run. I know if one of my girls hides her eggs, like the younger ones you got, everyone else will start using the hidden nest too. Perhaps on of the new ones is an egg eater.

Yes they are free range. I can't find them and the dog has not found any. Were are some good places to look? They dig holes but I'm not finding eggs in there

One day I saw my best layer sitting next to the compost bin in a protected out of the way spot. When she moved away, I saw she was sitting on 5 eggs. She laid there for three more days.

Earlier in the year, two hens made a spot in some leaves underneath a small piece of plywood leaning against the garage. In both cases, they all moved back to the nest boxes.

Check on them from time to time. Seeing where they go is a good clue.

I don't think they are over weigh. Winter has started but I put a light (not a heat lamp) in the coop an night. I can't think there are things stressing them out unless the foxes got bolder and go over our 8ft fence that fences in the yard, but I'm no seeing any breaches in the fenced in run. Again they are fed a complete layer diet. Any more info needed?
When you say you have a light on in the coop at night...is it on ALL night? Or just a few extra hours per day?

goodpost.gif
i am having a similar problem. my chickens are brand new. they were hatched in may of this year and they just never started to lay eggs (they are free range as well and no eggs laying around have been discovered). also my quails stopped laying in about september and never started again.
barnie.gif
i live in oklahoma so its not very cold right now and i know people down the road are having eggs (i might just have to go over to them,ask what they are doing and buy some eggs from them).

i really hope to figure out what s going on :(

Back
Top Bottom