Why aren't my hens laying?

No, it's actually stressful for them to be under lights all night. They need 14 to 16 hours of light if you want them to keep laying through the winter. Most people set lights on a timer to add a few extra hours in the morning and/or evening to accomplish that.

great. thank you!

Today I just installed a rope light in the coop. Want to help the ladies start laying again. This is their second winter and I didn't understand about adding light starting in Sept. So I want to adjust the girls light as in 14 to 16 hours per day.

1) My girls will use the outside roost when the temps are moderate. Okay just had a thought, remove the outside roost.

2) Instead of 1/2 hour change per week, can I change the 1/2 hour change each 3.5 days per week so they start laying in a month instead of 2 months.

3) Is the 1/2 hour per week a scientific thing or a theory of sorts or a subjective choice by practitioners.

So okay that is the question, can the change of light be shortened to every 3.5 days or must it be one change per week.

Respectfully Charlie
ps: my new timer is only capable of 1/2 hr changes.

Yesterday the girls gave us a couple Christmas presents.

I settled on adding another 18' rope of lights which are hung above the outside roost.

I also settled on adding a half hour each week, am now at 12 hours of light.

Charlie

The girls have continued with an egg a day. I'm thinking two of the girls are laying again.

my hens(chickens and turkey) started to lay too. :) i guess they were just too young to lay so i panicked too early lol

quails are still not laying tho :(

Back
Top Bottom