Why aren't my hen's producing?

DandTFarms

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My first question is: I removed my rooster from my flock. Is it possible that the rooster was stressing them out so they wouldn't lay? I don't need fertile eggs and that's why I removed him. Second question: Right now I'm feeding them crumbles (16%) should I add oyster shells and how much should they get? Any other help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doug and Tina

Welcome! How long has it been since you have had an egg? It couldn't hurt to offer oyster shell. Are you sure they aren't molting? How old are your hens?

We don't go a day without at least 10, but with so many chickens we thought we'd be getting more. The older hens are about a year old now. Not really sure about molting. I read some about it but don't really understand it. Thanks for the welcome.

Oyster shell is simply not the cure-all for egg issues that most here imply. In fact, if your hens have access to grass and are fed quality layer feed, they likely already get all the calcium their bodies can process. Reasons hens don't lay. See some of the stickies here about the issue.

Stress, changes, molt, old age, low number of light hours, etc.

Back
Top Bottom