Why aren't my isabel orpingtons laying yet?

The biggest issue I had with the bucket is that the goats knew the food was in there and so they were obsessed with trying to get the food out to the point of knocking it over. Even when I go to feed in the morning and at night they will finish their food within seconds then run to the chicken feed and head butt the chickens out of the way to get it.
I have to make a giant line so everyone gets some, it's become such a headache. Now we've just thrown the pig in there too and she does the exact same thing, in fact I sent pictures of her to her breeder and the breeder told me were feeding her too much lol. I laughed because I know it's because she's eating all the chicken feed. Luckily she's not even a worry after this weekend, I know the chickens will at least get a little more due to her not stealing food, but I have 3 more baby goats about to be put in there lol.
I need to come up with a solution because I actually plan on keeping a few roosters with my goats to keep the tick population down.

As a temporary matter, can you tie up the goats while the hens are eating? Or shut them in a smaller area like a barn or shed? That way the hens could get as much as they want at those times, even if you cannot leave their feed available all day.

Or maybe put the hens in a separate place to eat at mealtime (like as a dog crate outside the pen they usually share with the goats.)

20 weeks is young for most breeds,most birds lay around 25 weeks
Oh that's great to know! A friend told me 15-18 weeks and I've been thinking I have an issue. I'm fairly new to chickens, I've had ducks since may 2022 but I started my chicken flock in December 2022
My ducks started laying eggs in September after only 4 months

Oh good! My fingers are crossed. I've been waiting and checking multiple times daily, I have silkies who lay daily so I figured that would encourage them, but so far it has not lol
Ya they don't get into any kind of hurry for anything except food and treats, lol. I just adore my orps, and my roo is the best! Your hen in the pic you posted is pretty, I hope you enjoy them!

Oh that's great to know! A friend told me 15-18 weeks and I've been thinking I have an issue. I'm fairly new to chickens, I've had ducks since may 2022 but I started my chicken flock in December 2022
My ducks started laying eggs in September after only 4 months
Some product hybrids lay around 17-18 weeks but most heirloom or non production breeds lay later. I can't remember getting eggs before 24 weeks.
But chickens live off spite, they'll cross their little legs and not lay if they figure out what you want.
That's my theory, anyway.😅

Honestly, yeah, not having access to enough feed can slow down their development. Especially with bigger birds like Orpingtons. Their bodies are going to focus the resources on essential functions before anything else.

Plus, it helps to keep in mind that eggs are about reproduction.
A whole cascade of hormones have to interact just right to start to mature the ova, stress hormones interfere with that process. It's like how a horse can hold off giving birth in times of stress.
The end goal is successful offspring, so bringing them into an environment where they don't have what they need, or where they would be in excessive danger, doesn't make biological sense.

Back
Top Bottom