Why aren't my turkeys brooding?

galstew1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
So i came home one day, and the turkeys had laid an egg in the dog house (which is was pretty happy about cause the toms keep breaking them, the dog doesn't mind at all). We moved all the eggs in there, and they lay them there ocasionally if we let them out of the coop early enough. Now a new problem has arisen. The won't brood on the eggs. Just when i think they've layed down sit on them, they just fix the nest and leave. I have ten eggs in their, and one pheasant egg my little brother found (i'm hoping it will be female so we can have some phurkeys) in the dog house. If any of you know how i could get them to sit down on them permanently, it would be very helpful, thanks.

Also, about the pheasant egg, does anyone have a picture of what would come from black spanish and wild pheasant? i hope that the turkeys don't kill it because of how small in comparison it will be, if they start to pick on it, i guess i'll just let her/him go.

So i came home one day, and the turkeys had laid an egg in the dog house (which is was pretty happy about cause the toms keep breaking them, the dog doesn't mind at all). We moved all the eggs in there, and they lay them there ocasionally if we let them out of the coop early enough. Now a new problem has arisen. The won't brood on the eggs. Just when i think they've layed down sit on them, they just fix the nest and leave. I have ten eggs in their, and one pheasant egg my little brother found (i'm hoping it will be female so we can have some phurkeys) in the dog house. If any of you know how i could get them to sit down on them permanently, it would be very helpful, thanks.

goodpost.gif
LOL Don't get too excited about your "Phurkey" Idea just yet. I Keep some of my breeding pheasants and breeding Turkeys in the same pen and never even seen them try to mate with each other. They just seem to go there separate ways and leave each other alone.

First; how old are they? turkeys as a rule wont set till there a year old. second; turkeys like most birds dont like thier nets missed with.particuly young turkeys. leave them alone and see what they do.

Back
Top Bottom