Why aren't they crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I've got 4 roosters. 2 by accident! 1ee, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and 2 light brahmas. The ee and the wyandotte are crowing, although not very well. The other 2 don't make a sound. They are all about 8 weeks old. Any ideas why they aren't crowing yet?

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Some of them just take time to start crowing. I have a 14 week old olive egger roo that crowed for the first time this week.

Once they establish pecking order some of the lower roo's will hardly ever crow! At least that has been my experience.

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    They can take about 14-16 weeks to start crowing. My cockerel is 3 months and just started crowing. So the other two might take a little longer. There crows wont sound the best for a while, but they get better [​IMG] Also like Karrie13 said rooster that are lower on the pecking order might never really crow.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My BO only startes crowing when he was about 16 weeks. The less dominate roos won't crow as much, either.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read that in some or most cases only the alpha male will crow and the others won't. So they may never crow until the alpha is no longer around or they challange for the top spot and get it.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My BO roo didn't crow until he was about 6 months old. He hasn't stopped since. [​IMG]

7. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    I don't want mine to crow!!! [​IMG] but that's only cause I wanna keep him!!

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I don't remember his age, but I know my roo was MUCH older than 8 weeks before he ever crowed. It was several months for sure. I think it varies with the breed and also the individual roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by