Why aren't they laying?

klcabe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Canton, NC
I have a little flock of 16 hens that I purchased as day-old chicks in April, I believe. No one is laying and I can't figure out why. I'm feeding them Dumor layer pellets, the same as I fed my hens last year who were laying like crazy. The only thing different is that these hens are not free range, but are in a pen that's about 1/4 acre in size. I was getting an egg about once or twice a week a few weeks ago, but I think that was from the one hen that I still have from last year.

Why am I not getting eggs?!

What breed are they? They are around 22-24 weeks old? When did you start the Layer? You are sure they are not hiding eggs somewhere in the pen or that something is not stealing / eating eggs?

They are multiple breeds - Rhode Island Red, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, New Hampshire, and Black Australorp.

They've been on the Layer for at least a month.

No, they aren't hiding them anywhere; I've searched the pen over. Something could, in theory, be stealing/eating the eggs, but I check every day.

I just seem to remember my hens last year started laying in September. :idunno

Last edited:
None of those breeds are early layers, so collectively they are a little behind when you'd expect them to start maybe, but not by much. Probably just a matter of patience and hopefully you should be getting your first eggs any day now.

I also have a Rhode Island Red/ Black Cochin and she's 11 months old. She has never layed an egg! Her top notch is also half grey half red. Maybe it's something we're not doing??!! No idea!!

Back
Top Bottom