why arn't my chicks using the coop?

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
well my chicks are about 7 weeks now. and they have been in there coop for about a week now. but when i go out at night, after it is dark out, to close the coop door they will all be hudled almost on top of eachother in the corner of the run....they've been doing this since i put them out there, and i have to go out there and catch them and close them up in the coop. they have no problems going in there during the day, they just wont go in there on there own to roost at night. but once there in they are just fine... i dont get it...i thought they did this naturally... what should i do to get them to go in at night by themselves..... and i have left them in there closed up for 2 1/2 days while we where hunting/camping this last weekend and they still arn't gettin the point..... so now what??

Do you have a light in the coop? I do this with my 2-3 month old silkie and BTW hap babies, and the heat from the light draws them right in.

Quote:
I was going to ask the same question. Also, you could try bedtime treats in the coop. Try some of their favorite treats. I did that and now before dark they all go in and put themselves up for the night.
jumpy.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
food is a great motivator, but you have to be consistent. they will develop habits (as you noticed) if you wna to change their habits you have to do the same thing at the same time.

when mine went from the brooder to the coop, i left them in the coop for a few days. that let them adjust to it, explore it entirely, and get used to it and call it home. now they go in at 6:30 every day.

Two and a half days wasn't enough for them to get the point obviously. You may have to lock them in the coop for a solid week. When I moved my 22 week old chickens to their permanent coop it took TWO weeks of being in lock down before they started going to the new coop instead of piling up in the location of their old one (which wasn't even there anymore!).
After the lock down if you can run temporary electricity, try adding a small light to the coop. Turn it on at dusk and turn it off after they've all settled on their roosts for the night.

Quote:
This is a good idea too. I did shut mine in the coop too, but I also gave them treats every night at the same time. When I let them out I continued the evening treats and gradually slacked off. Now they go in every eve on their own no problem. Now I give them some treats in the morn.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

i do have a light in there and at first i was turning it on at dusk and that didnt even coax them in..but now i am starting to turn it on later and later cause i want to ween them off it as much as possible before winter really hits. i want them to adjust as much as possible to the cold weather. and as far as being comfortable in they're coop......they are big time. infact they hang out in the coop all day long on the roost....I think i will try the treat idea..... i usually give them they're treats in the afternoon....so i'll just move it back to dusk and see how it works.......and if that doesn't work i guess they will go on lock down for a week.....thanks guys for all the advice, i appreciate it!!!

I work the graveyard shift. When I drive up in the morning and they see my car they come running as they know it's treat time.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom