Why breeding two frizzles together is BAD! (nekkid chicken pics! EEEK)

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate that. I try to be part of the solution, not the problem, and generally, if I cant contribute in a positive manner, I keep quiet!
big_smile.png

A~

Hey! just noticed. Your from NH too. Maybe I can come over to see a real life, nekked chicken. LOL.
droolin.gif

Kidding. But seriosly, I used to breed frizzled bantam cochins, and once in awhile ESPECIALLY the males.....they would be like that for months. then all of a sudden, poof. thier feather come in. Hmm. waiting to see how it goes, hope you keep us updated.

Quote:
Hmmm, I may have assumed that in Rabbits, I know that it is some form of over concentration of the rex gene in rats and cats that causes the hair to be really brittle and simply break off, giving them a hairless effect, plus they have less hair folicles in general. This all sounded so similiar to what I was reading about the chickens. But come to think of it, I have never seen a hairless rabbit, so it probably doesnt work that way with them! Thank goodness!

Thanks for the correction!
A~

No problem, the Rex are Homozygous and are a plush velveteen coat. I think it might be a different gene. In Rabbits it effects the guard hairs only.

Quote:
If you look closely at the first photo, at the bottom, middle. You will see the end of a curly feather lying there. They are all over the cage. They just seem to break off! There is NO feather picking. I do know the difference.

Have you checked out the pics in simple breed pages?

Quote:
If you look closely at the first photo, at the bottom, middle. You will see the end of a curly feather lying there. They are all over the cage. They just seem to break off! There is NO feather picking. I do know the difference.

Have you checked out the pics in simple breed pages?

Nope, and I dont intend to on your recommendation. Feather picking is a behavior that is readily observable. (you can watch it happening) These birds, and all of my young birds, are raised in a public situation, (at a Garden Center) where a staff, and customers are with them almost constantly. Our customers children love them, and drag thier parents in just to bring approved treats to the babies, and see how much thier favorites have grown, and if they are free ranging yet. They are not in a closed box, ignored and bored.

The few times I have had feather pickers, they have been birds that I have brought in that were older, and they were seperated and sold immediately, along with any other birds that show the behavior. Feather Picking is not tolerated for a moment in any of my flocks.

I have been raising birds long enough to know the difference, and honestly, I dont appreciate you bringing it up again, when I had already stated that feather picking was not an issue. Twice.

The purpose of this thread was simply to show people what some birds who potetially have too much of the frizzle gene may look like. I was pleased to learn that some of them grow out of this naked stage, and will keep interested parties updated on thier progress.

Thank you for your input that feather picking does create naked birds, however, these birds are not feather picked, and I would appreciate that to be the final word regarding this subject and these particular birds.

Hi! I raise and breed frizzled birds here as well.
Looks to me like you have a serious case of 'slow-feathering'.
If they didn't grow feathers when they lost their down, then it is slow feathering and not a result of breeding Frizzle x Frizzle.
This little Cuckoo Frizzle guy is a good example of a slow feathering frizzle:
17_10509_003.jpg

17_10509_005.jpg

(He's already outside and got muddy already this rainy morning)

I've had sooo many people hatch eggs and ask if they might be from Frizzle x Frizzle, but they aren't --- just slow-feathering (like Kellys pics). They eventually feather out beautifully.

'Curlie', 'Frazzle', 'double dose of the Frizzle gene' is a different thing entirely.

smile.png

Lisa

I agree they are not feather picked that they are just slows to grow feathers. Mine were little fuzz balls then all of a sudden they were naked for about two months even their wings were bare they looked exactly like yours. There also were curly feathers laying on the ground, which i suspected was feather picking so I separated them, but it was not the case. It will take time, but they will feather out. Twice I ordered from Mcmurray and got them and that happened.

Quote:
Wow, thank you! That is good to know. Having not bred these chicks myself, I was going off assumptions learned in reading about double doses of frizzle genes. I wonder then, what is the difference with a double dose, and slow feathering. could they both be caused by a double dose, or do true FF's never get good feathers. Some even say that a true double dose dies young. These birds are over 8 weeks, (one little roo even tried to crow the other day, truely pathetic! lol )

Would you have a pic of a true double dose then?

I got no idea where that hostility comes from.. all I was saying is that your bird might possibly not be a double dose.... which suppose to be a good news... but hey, some people are strange.

There are pics of double dose in the simple breed pages, again, no idea why you're not bothered looking......

Back
Top Bottom