Why can’t I keep 5 roosters

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
I adopted 12 hens and a rooster in August. We also bought chicks aug 1. The chicks look to be two hens and five cocorels. But these little chickens are the best! The come when I call and follow me. One even perches on my arm. So. I’ve been told that I’ll need to separate them from the hens and let them figure out who’s most dominant. I’m ok wth that. But then let it go. Just be happy that everything went great everyone gets along. My question. Why do I need trim fromsize

From experience the cockerels I had as a child were relentless. These 2 Hamburg boys would just go for our big softie White Sussex to the point that the Hamburg cocks had to be kept in an enclosure away from him. I remember my dad bringing him indoors well bloodied on two occasions and cleaning him up and being told they thought we would lose him. Maybe some will live peacefully after settling the hierarchy but these two would have honestly killed the larger boy and would never have been safe free ranging with him. Themselves, two brothers, lived peacefully together with 3 hens so it must be possible but not always.

I adopted 12 hens and a rooster in August. We also bought chicks aug 1. The chicks look to be two hens and five cocorels. But these little chickens are the best! The come when I call and follow me. One even perches on my arm. So. I’ve been told that I’ll need to separate them from the hens and let them figure out who’s most dominant. I’m ok wth that. But then let it go. Just be happy that everything went great everyone gets along. My question. Why do I need trim fromsize
Because as the cockerels come into sexual maturity, they're going to make those pullets miserable. The pullets don't mature as quickly, so they're not going to be ready for or enjoy the extra attention from the boys. Several years ago, I had a bunch of chicks - equal numbers of cockerels and pullets. When those cockerels came of age, they were relentless. They constantly chased and gang-bred those poor pullets. The girls didn't get a chance to eat, drink or dust bathe because every time they stopped moving, there were multiple males jumping on them. It may be working for now, but I would strongly suggest that you have a Plan B for when things go south. It will happen quickly when it does. Maybe keep your cockerels separate in their own bachelor pen.

ETA - you should also be prepared for them to start fighting as they come of age. Chances are good that it will happen.

Because as the cockerels come into sexual maturity, they're going to make those pullets miserable. The pullets don't mature as quickly, so they're not going to be ready for or enjoy the extra attention from the boys. Several years ago, I had a bunch of chicks - equal numbers of cockerels and pullets. When those cockerels came of age, they were relentless. They constantly chased and gang-bred those poor pullets. The girls didn't get a chance to eat, drink or dust bathe because every time they stopped moving, there were multiple males jumping on them. It may be working for now, but I would strongly suggest that you have a Plan B for when things go south. It will happen quickly when it does. Maybe keep your cockerels separate in their own bachelor pen.

ETA - you should also be prepared for them to start fighting as they come of age. Chances are good that it will happen.

X 2. I had this same situation.

It depends on your flock size and the size of the area where you keep your chickens. Keeping multiple roosters is possible but not always practical.

X 2. I had this same situation.

It depends on your flock size and the size of the area where you keep your chickens. Keeping multiple roosters is possible but not always practical.
Mine were free ranged and the pullets still couldn't get away from those guys! It didn't last long. The cockerels were quickly put in a grow out pen until it was time to process them.

Mine were free ranged and the pullets still couldn't get away from those guys! It didn't last long. The cockerels were quickly put in a grow out pen until it was time to process them.

Yup, mine too. I've read that it's possible to have mutiple small flocks as long as there are enough hens for the roos and enough space. I just had too many boys, 5 out of 12 chicks.

When those cockerels came of age, they were relentless. They constantly chased and gang-bred those poor pullets. The girls didn't get a chance to eat, drink or dust bathe because every time they stopped moving, there were multiple males jumping on them.
Yep....I've learned to spot this before it gets too ugly.
Just before this starts to happen(~14 weeks) is freezer camp time!
All the remaining birds are so 'happy' and my belly is fully of chickeny deliciousness.
Had a broody hatch out 7 this spring, 5 were males.
upload_2019-10-21_7-16-20.png

Yup, mine too. I've read that it's possible to have mutiple small flocks as long as there are enough hens for the roos and enough space. I just had too many boys, 5 out of 12 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom