Why can't I find a pug UPDATE PAGE 7

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I would ask him.

OP being in West Point, Illinois make me not much help. I have one fawn male that I have been raising for 2 years that although a pretty dog does not meet my breeding standards. I also have a brindle pug cross that really looks like a pug sized boxer. I just was gave her the other day to find her a home.

Although I have rescued lots of dogs over the years she is the first pug or even part pug I have ran across in a rescue situation in several years. They just don't seem to make there way there for what ever reason an when they to they get snapped up fast.

As for scams. I have not seen any my self but I have had people that drove from several states away to buy from me that have told me about people selling or trying to sell nonexistent dogs to them.

ah.. no, rescues don't want to adopt out to families with young kids because they are more conserned about the dog biting the child. If a dog is described as not good for families with kids, they're looking out for your kids safety, and their ability to continue doing rescue and not paying a liablity lawsuit cause they housed a dog with kids and one got bit. There is a method to that madness.

I would try craigs list or, why not a breeder? All dogs borne to a breeder are not perfect show quality dogs.. you may find one that has a nice dog at a reasonable cost that needs a home.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I would ask him.

OP being in West Point, Illinois make me not much help. I have one fawn male that I have been raising for 2 years that although a pretty dog does not meet my breeding standards. I also have a brindle pug cross that really looks like a pug sized boxer. I just was gave her the other day to find her a home.

Although I have rescued lots of dogs over the years she is the first pug or even part pug I have ran across in a rescue situation in several years. They just don't seem to make there way there for what ever reason an when they to they get snapped up fast.

As for scams. I have not seen any my self but I have had people that drove from several states away to buy from me that have told me about people selling or trying to sell nonexistent dogs to them.

My mother in law is looking in ga for one for us too... She is driving here on the 6th

Heres pictures of Beauregard I have posted on here before.
Hes the fawn I have available.

As a pup under Frankie
18601_1.jpeg

1 year old
18601_download.jpeg

last winter
18601_photo10312326.jpg

18601_photo08112303_1.jpg

Woke him up a few minutes ago an took this one.
18601_photo09291056.jpg

Ill send you a PM about him.

Last edited:
You are not looking in the right places? I got my Pug from an ad in the classifieds. Look at both parents. If they are snorters, get your Pug elsewhere. Snorting is a sign of some serious hereditary breathing problems.

Why don't you want to get a puppy from a breeder? You have a better chance of getting a healthy puppy that way.

My FIL has found a pug that was left to die on the side of the road, starving....took him home and he was ONE sweet and well behaved male dog! He was a snorter and his back leg looked like it was like "stringhalt" in horses but he was fine on the xrays. One day, my hubby's mom let the dog out, didn't supervise him or tie him outside to pee, the dog ran out and chased the neighbor's truck, got ran over....I missed that dog! FIL got two more Pugs but they were worse than the first one. The second one was a snorter but one day he also died suddenly (something to do with hubby's mom did something to him but nothing was said). The third Pug, spoiled rotten and oversized in height and didn't have the correct Pug features (looked more boxer in size).

I thought Pugs were supposed to be snorters because of their noses.

All in all, I think they are ugly but cute at the same time. Glad that FIL had the best Pug dog and it made a strong impression on me LOL! They just love you for what you are and very loveable creatures!

Quote:
If the palate is too long it flops over and obstructs the airway. That causes the snorting. Not good. It can be fixed surgically, but it isn't cheap. All Pugs snuffle, but loud snorting with exertion is not normal. Or healthy.

Pugs have always looked to me like what you would get if you a crossed a manatee and a gargoyle.

If you are on FaceBook at all, look up the rescue organizations there. There are ususally tons for every breed. You may find one near you. Many of those will even help find transport via volunteer networking.
Lots of people are giving up wonderful family dogs simply becasue they cant afford them anymore. Its a shame, but you may find a wonderful dog there.

I have to say, the whole 'small dogs get hurt by small kids' thing is hard for me to really grasp fully. I know it happens and has some truth to it, but Ive never experienced it. I have a 5lb chihuahua that has never been hurt (had her before I had 3 of my smaller children, and still do, and no injuries yet!) we also have Boston Terriers we got as puppies who have never been hurt by any of my 5 kids. Maybe its more about poor adult supervision tha the kids really being a danger. I know accidents happen, but it sounds like you know what you are doing, have experience and are trying to do the right thing.

Whats worse- a dog being put down due to lack of a specific home requirement, or the risk of a child *maybe* hurting the dog or the dog hurting the child? Sheesh, ANY dog can bite, even the long time family dog everyone loves.

I hope you find your new pet soon- Good Luck and check out FB rescue groups (they are often breed and area specific so you might get lucky fast!)

Back
Top Bottom