Why can't I find a pug UPDATE PAGE 7

The snorting is caused by the soft pallet between the nose an mouth. As you breed for a shorter nose the soft pallet does not shorten as much. Pugs with a little nose sticking out(usually split wrinkle) usually have no breath sounds. Pugs with completely flat noses an pugs with recessed noses(usually single wrinkle) usually have that breathing noise.

Im sure there are some breeders that have threw breeding gotten rid of that noise in there show dogs, I just breed for a slightly longer nose.

It may be different in other states an with other breeds but I am not a big fan of the pug rescues I have seen.

The way it works here is when the pound gets a pug they fix it an do all the medical then call a rescue that comes an gets it for less than the general public would be charged an before the general public gets an a chance at them. Its a good thing for the pound cause they have space back very fast. But the pug would have not stayed long anyway. The rescue takes the pug that they have $50 in an is already fixed so there only real expense is feeding them. They then turn around an adopt them out for $350-$500. An people pay it cause they pound never has that breed for there $70 fee.

I always take a loss on the dogs I rescue but I don't expect everyone to. But a rescue charging that much is not rescue. Most rescues I have seen charge more than I do for my puppies.

I am all for getting rescue dogs but make sure its really a rescue an not a business that calls there self a rescue.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yeah, but for every dog they get from the pound that is all done for $50, they get two that cost them an arm and a leg. The pug rescues I know get mostly seniors with major health issues, or puppy mill bust dogs who require a lot of expensive rehab, both health and behavioral. They cant ask $1000 for those dogs, so charging more on the lower fee dogs helps average it out.

It is possible that there is a dis-reputable rescue in your area. They ARE out there, just like in every walk of life.

My rescue experience is with big dogs, but a lot of the same expenses apply.

1) not all shelters spay/neuter the dogs before giving them to rescue, so that comes out of their pocket. Some vets give a charity discount to rescues, others don't. The spay price here for a small dog is $75, if you don't have an bloodwork or pain meds.

2) heartworms average treatment price is $400+ if the dog has a serious infestation.

3) bad knees/elbows. both I think are common in pugs? average $600 per limb.

4) pregnant female dumped by owners. Then you have x-rays, prenatal care, possible c-section and spay/neuter on several dogs, not just one.

Then you have transport costs, shelter fees, and various other health problems like flea infestation, shots, worming, etc which can add up fast when you are talking about multiple dogs.

A reputable rescue isn't going to be making a profit. Actually, many of them are registered non-profit organizations, and all run by volunteers. Any money they receive goes right back into the animals. That is also why it can be a bit of a wait to hear back from them.

No one said that they average that much per DOG. But one sick dog can use several times that amount.

Quote:
Non profit doesn't really mean non profit. My sister used to work at a thriftstore. They recieved all their stuff for free, donated 10 percent of earnings so they could be non profit and get everything that goes with it, paid their employees minimum wage and no benefits, and made lots of money.

Back
Top Bottom