Why can't I get my shipped chicken eggs to hatch?!?!

Quote:
Don't you think that would be a little suspicious... a live bird box, without any peeping?
gig.gif

But it's a thought!
One person who is sending me quail eggs is marking the box "Fragile - glass vase" and insuring it for $100... she says that all of her eggs make it intact when she does that! LOL!

I wonder about the humidity, too... I have one like that, where you get a cascade of water when you open the incubator. Obviously that's not good.

Quote:
I don't know if x-raying is what's doing it, but this would certainly help!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
Don't you think that would be a little suspicious... a live bird box, without any peeping?
gig.gif

But it's a thought!
One person who is sending me quail eggs is marking the box "Fragile - glass vase" and insuring it for $100... she says that all of her eggs make it intact when she does that! LOL!

I wonder about the humidity, too... I have one like that, where you get a cascade of water when you open the incubator. Obviously that's not good.

Well, you know not ALL birds make noise when shipped....put a stuffed chicken in there. For all they know maybe it's dead...
wink.png

Mrs AK I have had eggs look just like that when candled and they hatch ,,,,,,,,,,,, I do 40% and 50% last 3 days.

I am sorry about the troubles.

I bet it is because you live in Alaska. Can you buy breeding pairs? Maybe that will work. out better for you.

OM Gosh....I have a few eggs that look just like that; they were shipped also. But this is my first hatch and I wasn't sure if that was normal. I also bumped up the humidity, because I thought that perhaps too much evaporation wasn't good.

I threw out a bunch of eggs yesterday and most of them were scrambled...one had a blood ring and of course a few were infertile.

I wish I could help, but hey, I'm just a newbie! I do thank you for posting the picture....hey I figure a lesson learned is a good thing.

As for the condensation on your glass....I found that covering the glass portion of the incubator with a thick towel takes care of that.

Good luck with the eggs you're getting! Oh...and if there were some way I could drive the eggs to you just to see Alaska again I would do it in a heartbeat!!!! Beautiful country!!!

I know it can be done... I have two chicks that say I can. Plus a whole bunch of quail. But they're rare, and I guess they're strong!

I'd just like to know what I can do to counteract it, I guess. Hoping maybe someone had figured it out, and would share they're knowledge. I just put the last two SG dorking eggs that are showing movement under my broody silkie with her single egg... I'm hoping she can do it.
fl.gif

eggs that look like that can and do hatch,,,I think a drastic change in incubation temp or humidity at some time in the process of incubating an egg can be more harmful,,,,,,Can you try lowering the temp by .5*? That could only delay the hatch a little and maybe the temp is too high? Lower temp is safer than too high. Or if you are sure of your thermometer than dont touch that dial.!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm going to go put a towel on the incubator now.
smile.png
thanks!
You're so sweet... I wish you could drive up eggs, too!!
smile.png
I think my original assumption that it was harder on the chicks was incorrect... at least they're not scrambled!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom