Why Cant It Decide!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrownSheep, Jul 24, 2011.

1. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I have an 12 week old hen/rooster/he/she the can not ,will not ,make up its mind. It doesn't have the saddle feathers, it's comb is considerably smaller than the other 2 roosters its age, and it hasn't crowed yet. It isn't developing spurs while my two known roos have. It does have a roo-ish looking tail and it's comb is pretty red. We're thinking it is a Australorp. It was a free, grab bag chick.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Picture?

3. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I would but alas the camera is AWOL....as is my cell phone....I'm starting to see a pattern to my electronics

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen a few australorp pullet pics on this site where they have some pretty big red combs. Borrow a camera and post a pic!

5. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Just going by what you said about the comb being rather red at 12 weeks you more than likely have a roo, if there is more than one cockerel in a group of growers they will mature at different rates, the saddle and hackle feathers develop later on in maturity so they are usually one of the last tell tale pointers, get a pic sorted out for us and we will be able to help you further [​IMG]

6. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    I had a SLW rooster that was just like that!

But one day, it seemed his comb and wattes doubled in size overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by