Why can't one of my hens can't fly up to roost?

ProfClucker

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have had our chickens for a little over a year and for the past two nights, one of my hens hasn't been able to fly high enough to roost with the rest of the flock. Every other night we have had them she has roosted with the rest however for some reason for the past two nights she hasn't. She makes multiple attempts at trying to fly up but isn't able to fly high enough to land her feet on the perch. A few times in the past I have noticed that she has had trouble flying up but eventually gets there however, last night and tonight she hasn't been able to. I stayed with her for over 20 minutes but she eventually gave up and roosted by herself on a lower perch. I cannot pick her up to place her with the rest as she pecks you if you go near her however she has always done that.

Can anyone give me any reasons as to why she suddenly cannot and how we could help her?

Thanks,
Jay

Hi,
We have had our chickens for a little over a year and for the past two nights, one of my hens hasn't been able to fly high enough to roost with the rest of the flock. Every other night we have had them she has roosted with the rest however for some reason for the past two nights she hasn't. She makes multiple attempts at trying to fly up but isn't able to fly high enough to land her feet on the perch. A few times in the past I have noticed that she has had trouble flying up but eventually gets there however, last night and tonight she hasn't been able to. I stayed with her for over 20 minutes but she eventually gave up and roosted by herself on a lower perch. I cannot pick her up to place her with the rest as she pecks you if you go near her however she has always done that.

Can anyone give me any reasons as to why she suddenly cannot and how we could help her?

Thanks,
Jay
Is she gaining too much weight? You might have to capture her, and hold her head so she doesn't peck you. Also how high is your roost?

As far as roosting... if this was my bird, I wouldn't do anything at all (if she's overweight that's a related but separate issue). If she can reach a lower roost then she can just roost there, is there a reason you don't want her there?

Back
Top Bottom