Why cant we give the poly-vis-sol with iron?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redhen, Jan 18, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what will happen to them? the only kind i can find is with iron..., thanks, Wendy

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The only time I use the one with iron is when I have an anemic/thin bird. To much of any vitamin can be bad, but I too have forgotten the specific reason for not using iron.... [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    In an emergency, I don't think it would hurt for a short while. It's just easy to overdose birds on iron if given over a prolonged period.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks!..i was just wondering because i picked up some birds at the show yesterday..and i wanted to give a little vitamins..just to be safe....thanks again!, Wendy

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Too much iron is toxic. It can accumulate in the liver and become lethal. That's some multi vitamin/mineral formulas are made without iron. You shouldn't take iron unless you know for sure you need it, the same applies to chickens/other animals.

I'm surprised you can't get Poly-Vi-Sol w/o iron. I wouldn't give a child an iron supplement unless they needed it. If you ask at a pharmacy, maybe they can order it for you. Most pharmacies don't charge extra for doing that.

My feed dealer carries powdered vitamins for poultry and livestock, they aren't very expensive, I just use those. Is there some advantage to the Poly-Vi-Sol?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:Good question, I was wondering it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by