Why Can't We Have Ordinances to Control Cats? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think whether or not indoor vs outdoor cats being healthier or not is not the point of this thread. Can we stay on track and to the intent of the OP's thread?

Anyone who allows any animal (dog, cat, whatever) to roam at will has NO right to expect that animal will ever return home safely. And in that event, they will most likely never know what happened to that animal, either; whether it met its end by dog, fox, coyote, raccoon, neighbor's shotgun, speeding car, or whatever.

I'm not sure why, in the eyes of some folks, cats should get a free pass to roam wherever they choose. You can build a covered fenced area for a cat just like you would chickens if you can't stand to have it in the house. Hopefully, a barn cat kept for the purpose of rodent control would find enough wild food to keep it at home, but if not, then it may well never come back.

I have never killed a cat that wandered onto my place and there have been many over the past nine years since we moved here. As long as they hunt rodents and not my chickens, I'll leave them alone, but I don't like the smell of tomcat spray up on my deck in the mornings or the sound of cats fighting outside in the woods at night.

Sigh, Do these two people have enough letters after their names for you?

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

I said nothing about letters after their names. I am simply asking for a relevant article. What you have linked to above says:
"Some people feel that it is cruel to confine cats because they think of them as "free spirits" that should be allowed to roam at will because of their nature" That statement suggests to me that the authors are talking about irresponsible owners who let cats come and go as they please.

I am not talking about letting them be "free spirits" and "roam at will". I specifically indicated limited outdoor access, during daylight only. You are looking at this as a black and white issue: all indoor vs. all outdoor. I am merely pointing out that it is possible to keep an indoor/outdoor cat responsibly.​

BTW, cats live longer, happier and healthier lives when they are kept indoors.

I disagree, they may live longer but not happier, maybe not even healthier. All my cats live outdoor, from the time they are born until the time they die. They are happy and healthy eating the cheap no-name brand food and catching mice and rodents. One of them was attacked by a wild animal and had to live indoor for about a weak until he could go back out. That poor cat was MISERABLE living inside, he hardly ate and spent all night meowing and scratching at the window.

So no, I don't believe cats are happier and perhaps healthier if kept indoors.

Of course like humans, all cats are different, we can't just say that ALL cats act like this. Thats like saying ALL humans like pizza.​

Quote:
Of course I do, but I am so fortunate to not live near anyone like you. I have described the nature of my relationship with neighbors in a past post. You are welcome to read it.

Thank you and I have indeed read it.

Cheers, Bill

Quote:
I said nothing about letters after their names. I am simply asking for a relevant article. What you have linked to above says:
"Some people feel that it is cruel to confine cats because they think of them as "free spirits" that should be allowed to roam at will because of their nature" That statement suggests to me that the authors are talking about irresponsible owners who let cats come and go as they please.

I am not talking about letting them be "free spirits" and "roam at will". I specifically indicated limited outdoor access, during daylight only. You are looking at this as a black and white issue: all indoor vs. all outdoor. I am merely pointing out that it is possible to keep an indoor/outdoor cat responsibly.

Trying to keep on topic per speckledhen's request and my last post on this subject as it is going from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Anyone who lets their pets roam and it gets out of it's yard and bothers anyone else or their pets, Are not responsible pet owners. It doesn't matter if it is for a day or a few minutes. Unless of course that person manages to never let that pet leave it's yard.

Muckypuppy said:

Anyone who lets their pets roam and it gets out of it's yard and bothers anyone else or their pets, Are not responsible pet owners

In our neighborhood, everyone has animals or something that they do that annoys others in some way. We work together to tolerate each other and our animals. After reading this thread, I now realize how lucky I am to live amongst so many nice people, who don't seem to feel the need to exclude all animals from their property other than their own. I enjoy seeing my neighbors' animals, and do what I can to accommodate their visits, and my neighbors return the favor to me. It is sad to hear that this is not the case everywhere.​

Quote:

I am not talking about letting them be "free spirits" and "roam at will". I specifically indicated limited outdoor access, during daylight only. You are looking at this as a black and white issue: all indoor vs. all outdoor. I am merely pointing out that it is possible to keep an indoor/outdoor cat responsibly.

Trying to keep on topic per speckledhen's request and my last post on this subject as it is going from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Anyone who lets their pets roam and it gets out of it's yard and bothers anyone else or their pets, Are not responsible pet owners. It doesn't matter if it is for a day or a few minutes. Unless of course that person manages to never let that pet leave it's yard.

x2
No one else should ever have to deal with someone else's pet on their property. It is the responsibility of the owner to keep their animals on their property. Mu chickens would be much happier if I took down their fences and let them roam the neighborhood, but I am responsible and contain my pets because I realize my neighbors and my neighbors pets do not appreciate my chickens the same as me. The same should be true for ALL domestic animals, including cats. Not sure why some cat owners seem to think they are exempt from being a responsible pet owner and containing their animals on their own property.

I believe if someone owns a cat it can go outside, but have it only roam the property, and no one else's. No fence? Build one or have someone do it for you. Cat goes over the fence? Electric fencing I suppose would be one option. Your cat still pursues? Well, then your going to have to make your yard look like a military boot camp.

My dogs don't leave the backyard unless with a leash on or in a kennel to the vet. Alot of my friends who have cats don't have their cats leave the house unless in a kennel to the vet.
Here, roaming animals go with animal control or the owner is fined and warned. My friend's horse was getting loose (smart gal knew how to open the fence door) and after the 3rd time animal control told them to find a new home for the horse or they would take it away.
If you keep letting out your cats here, they may not even get the chance to go with animal control. Coyotes are hungry creatures.

Quote:
In our neighborhood, everyone has animals or something that they do that annoys others in some way. We work together to tolerate each other and our animals. After reading this thread, I now realize how lucky I am to live amongst so many nice people, who don't seem to feel the need to exclude all animals from their property other than their own. I enjoy seeing my neighbors' animals, and do what I can to accommodate their visits, and my neighbors return the favor to me. It is sad to hear that this is not the case everywhere.

On the contrary, I too enjoy seeing the neighbor's animals (as well as our native wildlife). I'm very fond of seeing the horses and cows down the street in particular. I actually checked with my neighbors about my chickens, as you've mentioned, to make sure everything was okay. Not that my chickens would roam onto their properties (everyone around me has dogs and that would not be safe) but I do have an accidental rooster. I'm on 14 acres so I am not on top of my neighbors, either. I do wish that all neighbors were as kind as you. None of my neighbors have offered me the same courtesy. It is especially difficult when their pets are predatory mammals such as dogs and cats. Ironically, given the OP of this topic, a few dogs ran into my yard today and harassed my chickens. My strong run and electric fence made sure they did no direct damage, but in a panic one of my pet pullets broke her beak against the coop. I just got home from the veterinarian, my pocketbook is about $400 lighter and I have an injured pet, just for one person's carelessness and lack of respect.
sad.png

And in response to the folks that were saying it's legal to let cats roam loose: It certainly is in some areas, but not all. Local counties, townships and municipalities may have laws that say otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom