Why Can't We Have Ordinances to Control Cats? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like everyone who wants their cat to roam, thinks everyone else should make accommodations for their cat. I'm sorry, but if a cat comes in my yard, I'm not going to accommodate it crapping in my garden, spraying it's stink on my trees or home, killing the native fauna that I'm trying to preserve on my land.

Quote:
X2

I have not read every post but I take a paintball gun to every stray cat that comes into MY yard. ( yes it's a stray even if it belongs to my neighbors) If it's in my yard then it is fair game. I have a cat and she stays indoors where she belongs. Cats do not need to go outside for fresh air.

Quote:
X2

I have not read every post but I take a paintball gun to every stray cat that comes into MY yard. ( yes it's a stray even if it belongs to my neighbors) If it's in my yard then it is fair game. I have a cat and she stays indoors where she belongs. Cats do not need to go outside for fresh air.

X3 If you want your cat to have fresh air, there are plenty of ways to do it. Did you know that cats can be happily leash-trained? A neighbor of my in-laws has a giant "cat yard" outside. It is planted and covered, with a cat door so they can come and go as they please. Guess what! By choice, the cats spend 90% of their time indoors.

In my 72 yrs of experience I've noted that, when it comes to cats, people's reaction to them range from those that regard them as small, furry children to those that will kill them on sight. It would seem that is true on here. IMHO cats are no better or worse than any other alien, invasive species including chickens and humans--all have their up and down sides.

I don't think anything any of us says is going to convince anyone else to change their opinion. But, that doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to mine, eh?

We all get to make our own decisions. I'm all grown up, pay the mortgage on my own property and am higher up the food chain than any animals that roam/come hunting/exploring/relaxing/being themselves on my property. Cats, dogs, racoons, mountain lions, bears, minks, etc. are not welcome here. I get to make that decision. If you decide your pet gets to roam, you get to make that decision. But once the precious steps off your property, the owners of the visited places now have the right to make any decisions about what's happening. If I'm responsible for keeping my chickens safe, you're responsible for keeping your pets safe. The end.

Even if your pet just wants to 'watch' my chickens, that's not going to work for me. Part of protecting my birds involves keeping them from being frightened to the point of crashing into a fence and breaking a beak off. My dear friend was standing near her rabbit hutch when a neighbor cat wanted to 'watch' her bunny and jumped up on top the hutch. The bunny was so frightened that it died. That's just not going to work for some of us, no matter how much anyone thinks we should love their pet. What makes someone else's pet more important than mine? On my property?

One of my neighbors admits to 14 cats and we know she has more. They may be happier and healthier out roaming around (my property), but, bottom line is, I myself am happier and healthier not cleaning up the once beautiful flower bed next to my front door every day because they have adopted it as their litter box.

My animals are all contained on my property. I love them too much to put them at risk, plus, I just don't get to think that they're more important than any animals or people who live around me. Because they aren't.

I, personally, don't agree with the 'they were only doing what comes naturally' argument. Honestly, where does that end? Where's the line that says what animals are allowed to do what comes naturally because that makes them happy? I suspect that even the most tender hearted person has certain creatures that would not be welcome on their property doing whatever comes naturally to them. As long as I'm not breaking the law or committing crimes against humanity, I get to decide what can and can't happen on my property. I get to decide what's welcome and not welcome here. If someone else wants to allow every stray and creature to hunker down and be at home on their property, go for it. But no one else gets to make that decision for me.

I'm a good neighbor. I don't even have any of those loud noises mentioned happening here. I watch out for my neighbors properties when they're away. I'm always ready to help when needed. I smile and say howdy and wave when people drive by. But my own personal definition of good neighbor includes controlling my animals. And protecting them from anything I see as a threat to their health and well being while they are on my property. And since I pay the mortgage and taxes here, there you go.

Are animals still going to stray onto my property and cause problems? Sure. Do I have to be happy about it and accept it? Heck no.

From the sticky that was suggested needed to be reviewed

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

If dealing with predators is not your cup of tea, I suggest staying away from this section of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom