Why cant you feed your chicken citrus

My girls love chunks of clementines. I wondered about the citrus too, when I read the list of allowable treats on this website. I'm glad to hear that citrus is okay - I'll go back to giving them clementines again.

You can feed chickens citrus.

I have a super over abundance of satsumas this year. Chickens won't touch'em.

Actually feeding citrus can cause feather plucking. This is well know in the pet bird world and overlaps with chickens. It is a build up of citric acid and vit C that can cause it. Some are very sensitive others less so. Just be careful how much you give. Most fruit is OK in limited quantites but is known to effect laying in some chickens so just be aware of that in case your having laying issues. So if you are getting less and less eggs cut out fruit for awhile and see if that helps.

Quote:
It is on the Chicken treats chart not to give them citrus. I am happy to find out that we can because I gave my girls fruit cocktail before I read the treat chart and was worried I had done something to hurt them. Thanks again Speckledhen
big_smile.png

I've tried oranges and grapefruit on my chickens and they won't touch it. The goats love them. But they eat anything; they devoured my mom's firewood pile too... I don't think my chickens ever ate food scraps before I got them, they are pretty picky about it and are still figuring out how to eat a lot of things. They had some watermelon rinds today and thought those were delicious!

Mine don't like banannas at all. They only like fruit if it is fruit cocktail. They won't eat spaghetti either. I need some kind of receipes for chicken treats cause mine seem to be picky lately. Either that or they, like my children, have figured out I suck as a cook
big_smile.png

I had a bunch of apple trees at the old place, the chickens tried to eat them but too green. I made applesauce and gave them peels and cores..they got tired of apples pretty fast. They are the zucchini, tomatoes, and the corn in my garden though, and tried to look innocent

mine LOVE squash of any kind, especially spaghetti squash. Pumkin galore, i went around after halloween and asked the neighbors for their "used" carvings, the ladies ate them like it was going to be their last! I have pumello's on my land, they peck at them but dont consume them like they consume all other vegetable cuttings

Back
Top Bottom