Why cant you feed your chicken citrus

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bigfatchicken, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bigfatchicken

Bigfatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    sarasota, Florida
    What effects does citrus have on chicken. I was thinking of using citrus pellets ground up?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can feed them citrus. I have no idea where that rumor got started, that citrus was bad for them. Most chickens don't especially care for the sour citrus taste, is all.

To show my ignorance, I'm not sure what "citrus pellets" are, though.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    One of my co-workers brought some green naval oranges to work a few weeks ago and left them at our work station, where they just stayed for over a week. So I decided that no one wanted them because they were picked prematurely and I would see if the chickens were interested and if not, compost. Well the chickens were not interested. Neither was the goat.

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Citrus pellets are usually pelletized orange/lemon pulp leftover from the juice making plants. I fed it to my milk goats when I had them, and they would beg for more.

Don't know about chickens, but then we're talking about a creature that will consume an entire styrofoam cooler. . . .

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

All our chickens love citrus. We are lucky enough to have oranges, grapefruits and lemons growing on the property so they get lots of citrus. They dont care for the lemons, they will eat the grapefruit and they just love the oranges. Never had a problem unless we feed them too much then the poo gets runny for a day. We just figure it makes our girls all that much sweeter.

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have all kinds of fruit trees surrounding my coop and run. Peach, Apricot, Plum, Cherry, Grapefruit, Orange, Cumquat, Persimmon, Tangerine, Lime, lemon and olive. They get everything that hits the ground. [​IMG]

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My chickens love oranges!

8. accio! chickens

accio! chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    CANADA
    Quote:LOL I know what you mean. Mine attacked some styrofoam insulation in the garage... I had to bribe them out of eating it with some catfood.

9. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I heard that the foam makes them quit plucking each others feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by