Why cant you feed your chicken citrus

You can feed them citrus. I have no idea where that rumor got started, that citrus was bad for them. Most chickens don't especially care for the sour citrus taste, is all.

To show my ignorance, I'm not sure what "citrus pellets" are, though.

One of my co-workers brought some green naval oranges to work a few weeks ago and left them at our work station, where they just stayed for over a week. So I decided that no one wanted them because they were picked prematurely and I would see if the chickens were interested and if not, compost. Well the chickens were not interested. Neither was the goat.

Citrus pellets are usually pelletized orange/lemon pulp leftover from the juice making plants. I fed it to my milk goats when I had them, and they would beg for more.

Don't know about chickens, but then we're talking about a creature that will consume an entire styrofoam cooler. . . .

All our chickens love citrus. We are lucky enough to have oranges, grapefruits and lemons growing on the property so they get lots of citrus. They dont care for the lemons, they will eat the grapefruit and they just love the oranges. Never had a problem unless we feed them too much then the poo gets runny for a day. We just figure it makes our girls all that much sweeter.

I have all kinds of fruit trees surrounding my coop and run. Peach, Apricot, Plum, Cherry, Grapefruit, Orange, Cumquat, Persimmon, Tangerine, Lime, lemon and olive. They get everything that hits the ground.
tongue.png

Oh good. I have several oranges on the counter that no one will eat. I haven't given them to the girls cause I thought you weren't supposed to. They love getting new treats.

Back
Top Bottom