Why Can't You Put Quail and Chickens Together

I have a story to add that may or may not apply. I have for sure coccidia on my property, no doubt about it. My chicks, that i have been breeding and raising from my own flock, do not get sick with it for the past three years - to the point i thought that my chicks were being born immune. I gave a dozen eggs to a scool teacher, of which 9 hatched. The schoolteacher did "everything right" biosecurity-wise (kids were made to wash hands before and after handling chicks) and then they came to me at 2 weeks of age. Within a week, all of them died - coccidiosis. I treated as soon as i recognised what was going on, but it was too late - they had already stopped eating and were therefore not getting the medicine. Immunity happens the minute they are hatched, and regardless of species, the earlier the exposure, the better - that was proven to me in my birds that i thought were bred immune. So, my advice, is to put your chicks (quail, chicken, what have you) out to pasture asap after hatch for brief periods so that they can get exxposure, then build immunity as they sleep indoors at night.

To add/edit: I believe that this is how to make quail immune to chicken diseases. I mean, like, i had my young wèk-old or less quail pasture where cornish cross were raised the previous year. They weren't there long enough to get sick, but long enough to be exposed. The same goes with dogs. I read an article where a woman knew there was distemper in a certain area. Rather than getting her dogs vaccinated, she brought them to this location for brief periods on a regular basis. Titer testing showed that the puppies had developed a natural immunity to distemper all on their own, from having this gradual and limited exposure. Is it not fair to say that quail would do the same?

Oh poor Mali quali..
Mali quali is a male courtnix quail and he escaped when I was taking them out a month ago, and penguin was throwing him around! I finally caught him and he had a cut under his wing. He's alright now :)
What a lesson to learn

Quote:

I wasn't trying to be mean, but we have answered this question in about 100 posts in the last 3 months.. 2-3 of them posts was from you. If you believe we are misleading you, that is your choice... but my answer will never change. I feel that if you choose to put them together, you need to know the result that will most likely take less than one year.. and that is your quail will be sick, dead, or carry a deadly disease that will kill other quail that they are put with..
There seems to be plenty of users on here that free range chickens and quails together in relatively small spaces. Most of them have had no issues. Unless you are keeping button quails, or the winters by you slip below 20F, I cannot imagine there being a problem. I've seen friends do both and never had an issue. I have eaten the eggs, and I'm alive and well.

I had my chicken and quail together in a large aviary ( plenty of room for all of them ) and for about everyday for the 2 weeks they were together, I came home to a dead quail, ripped open and eaten. I caught the chickens in the act once. The quail didn’t make it. There was blood all over the coop. There wasn’t anyway for any other animals to get in; so we kept an eye on them and confirmed. It was the chickens

I'm working on doing my homework, but am looking into getting into quails. This appears to be similar to the debate on whether peacocks or turkeys can be with chickens, am I right? Chickens carry diseases that can affect other birds (i.e. coryza for quail). But this is the main concern? (Disregarding aggressive chicken problems for the moment).
Currently in my experience, I have peacocks, turkeys, and chickens that all free-range together (but sleep in their own enclosures/spaces) and have been fine with proper management. However, not to say that I won't encounter issues at some point (we did have one blackhead victim first starting out years ago, she used to sleep on the ground in the chicken house). What I want to know is more about the coryza? My wish would be to keep them in their own separate houses, but they will probably free range together. Is this still a high-risk situation? Also, do quail not roost even the tiniest bit (if so, this probably explains some things)?

Second: Poultry barns do also use a similar theory to build resistance to cocci and other diseases in flocks by using some older bedding to mix in with new bedding for each new batch. Low doses of exposure to build immunity. So there may be an idea to this theory worth experimenting with for the experienced poultry/quail keepers.

Third: For some commentators here it may be more effective to kindly explain things/their reasonings more to people rather than just saying no and yelling at them.. food for thought ... and if people want to try it their own way even still, then they will learn first hand how it goes. But the people who come after might actually appreciate an in-depth explanation.

I'm a vet student. I understand well that there's many different ways of approaching a situation and what works for someone might not work for someone else and where to identify problems to mitigate. Also, some people just get really lucky..

Quote:

No, you have a different opinion. We have a fact. Some people deny it exists, but there is proof. If there is proof of it then why take the risk?
idunno.gif
Where are you getting your facts? Because according to the MSD veterinary manual, you are wrong. https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens

Back
Top Bottom