Why 'chooks"

welcome-byc.gif
from Australia

Dunno where it came from. But calling them chooks is definatly an aussie thing. Hear it all the time.

As for "G'day" and "hoo-roo", I hardly ever hear it unless someones taking the piss out the aussie stereotype. Even "chuck a shrimp on the barbie" is wrong. We call them prawns here dammit!

I've also been told by overseas visitors that it is weird that everyone here calls the "trunk" of a car the boot. eg: "just chuck my suitcase in the boot" If people say trunk here, generally we would think elephant or tree!! lol

Oh and thank BellevueOmlet I think we're pretty cool too!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
So true. The only people i hear say g'day here are the kiwis that have moved over lol. Hoo-roo ,now isn't dr harry the only one that says that lol. (aussies will get this)
I call my baby chickens "the bubbies " so I am no help there and chooks are laying age hens.

Last edited:
Really well there you go hey. Maybe it depends which part you come from. None I know say it and there are a billion and one old timer farmers out this way and hooroo is definatley not one of there slang sayings lol Most of there slang could not be used on a family forum
ep.gif

Last edited:
I agree, the English would probably come here and be absolutely shocked.
lau.gif

Perhaps not so much in the farming community, but certainly around here, there's much more of it.
lol.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

My mums english. Visited the family over there once and went out with my cousins, they were so confused with my "aussie lingo"

OH and last time I went to america I made the mistake of saying spider..... got bagged about it for THREE DAYS because I apparently say Spoi-da.... immitating me once was fine, but after the 100th?!?
somad.gif

It was funny when I mentioned a wombat. They didn't know what it was, and one said "I don't get it... so it's a kind of giant bat?"
lau.gif

Spoi-da!
lau.gif

I agree completely.
I'd better watch out if I ever visit America then, although I wouldn't say my Aussie accent is that obvious.
tongue.png

It's still very much a mixed accent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom