Why close off nests until near point of lay?

I see many recommendations give access to open nest boxes only as the pullets get near to laying. What is the reasoning behind this?
Because you want them to roost where they're supposed to not sleep in the nest boxes, and they will also poo in them which just makes for unnecessary cleaning 😉

Because chicks will often try to sleep in the nests (nice and cozy!), and of course they poop where they sleep, which makes the nests dirty.

So if you close off the nests at first, they cannot form the habit of sleeping in them. By the time they are near point of lay, they should have the habit of sleeping on the roosts, so they will not bother trying to sleep in the nests.

Thank you. I'll wait at least until they get used to roosting on the roost instead of on the top of the wall. Silly chickens.

Then decide how much I mind the extra cleaning if they spend time in the nests during the day. (They are 3 months old)

Attachments

• 2DC8BC64-51EB-4634-8700-A8161F03F649.jpeg
    2DC8BC64-51EB-4634-8700-A8161F03F649.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 8
Then decide how much I mind the extra cleaning if they spend time in the nests during the day. (They are 3 months old)

Chicks will not usually spend enough time in the nests to do much pooping during the day, unless one is hiding there to avoid being bullied by the others. But sometimes they will scratch the bedding out of the nests, hoping to find something tasty underneath.

Back
Top Bottom