Why did her chicken die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabet253, Dec 16, 2014.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    So my friend has chickens, (not very well taken care of honestly, I will be taking them soon), their coop gets cleaned and they get fed, but just could use some more care. Anyways, their chickens are about 2 years old, one Americana hasn't laid eggs for awhile, about 6 months or maybe more? Unless she for some reason started laying brown eggs. Another laying chicken had died, before she died my friend said she was losing feathers (I have young birds right now, so I don't know what the molting process is), later I found her dead inside the coop, she didn't have bugs on her, and I didn't see blood. So I'm just wondering what the cause is. They get fed layers feed and household scratch.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It could have been Coccidiosis, Botulism from filthy water, or intestinal worms. Here is some information you may find to be helpful:
    http://extension.umd.edu/sites/defa...seases-and-Their-Prevention_Tablante_2013.pdf

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by