Why did Misty die?

IslaBean

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2017
I recently found my year old hen dead in the nesting box. She was seemed fine yesterday. However, this morning she was still on the roosting post, while the others were eating. Two hours later she died in the nesting box with no signs of trauma. Misty was a very sweet and special bird. I’ve had Misty since she was a little chick.

I'm so sorry you lost your little Misty. The cause was most likely eggbound. Some hens are more prone to it then other breeds. Was she a production breed? I've found the production/hybrid breeds are more susceptible. Again, so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry you lost your little Misty. The cause was most likely eggbound. Some hens are more prone to it then other breeds. Was she a production breed? I've found the production/hybrid breeds are more susceptible. Again, so sorry for your loss.
I’m not sure what breed Misty was. Is there anything I could have done to prevent her death. She showed no signs of illness. I was holding her and petting her yesterday and she was okay.

Sometimes they stand like a penguin, look like they're straining but sometimes there aren't any signs. I had an ISA Brown that was fine, went into her nestbox, then passed and it was due to being eggbound. I beat myself up for not catching it but sometimes they just don't show any signs. Be kind to yourself, I'm sure you did the best for her while she was your pet chicken.

I'm so sorry you lost Misty. :hugs
The only way to know why she died would be to send her body off for a necropsy. State Agricultural departments usually have a diagnostics lab which can carry out such investigations and in some states it is subsidised so that the cost is affordable.
We can only speculate on possible causes and there are several possibilities. Having a necropsy done can sometimes find things that might benefit the rest of your flock, like worming or possibly dietary changes etc as well as diseases or ailments like egg binding which you can then research and find the best ways to treat in case you see similar symptoms in another hen. I find that learning from a death is the most positive outcome I can get from a very sad and negative event, so I try to improve my knowledge with each one that I lose.

Best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom