1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why did my Boy rabbit squeal as if in pain?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    SO I had my rabbits out in their corral since it is such a nice day out. I had the three boy bunnies out and our "undecided" rabbit. Well My rabbit prince got into its corral and they started dominating each other, i see this from across the pool. SO i reach in to seperate the two as they kind of go in circles each trying to mount the other - and prince, finally getting on top, squeals as if he is in pain. I finally get a hold of him and pull him and, and he seems perfectly fine.

Anyone know why he might have uttered the sound? It was extremely high pitched.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have heard the same thing from wild rabbits out in the yard when they're either dominating or breeding...I know they usually break apart and kick each other after the squeal, but other than that...

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My buck used to squeal after he was done mating the does. It only takes a few seconds for them. [​IMG]

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    After breeding bucks squeal and fall off to the side.

5. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Is one of them a female? I know when I bred my males and females countless times when they were "successfull" either the female or the male would give out a high pitched squeal right before they stopped their breeding moment..

6. Harmony

Harmony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Rabbits will let out a squeal if they're in pain, or as mentioned some buck will squeal after breeding. It's good idea to keep bucks seperate though (at all times).

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It sounds like your undecided rabbit has decided.

8. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I can confirm that bucks let out a squeal when they are done mating and the process is very brief. *nodnodnod*

*Added: I forgot to mention that the squeal typically indicates a successful mating, like another poster said. Your undecided rabbit is most likely female and may very well be pregnant.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    He is bragging, sounds like your undecided is definately a doe.

10. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Aww Great! Now Im going to have to explain to mom why there are baby bunnies in the mean rabbits cage... isnt the *incubation period* ( sorry, I know its wrong terminology but im a ducky person first. lol ) like 26 days or so? I know ive been told before i just cant remember.

So when the buck and doe breed... does the doe nornally try and mount the buck as well? Because when i was walking around the pool I did see Dewdrop - formally know as Undecided - mount Prince.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by