why did my cayuga ducks stop laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CayugaLover, Aug 26, 2012.

1. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

okay, so, i know that ducks have a season, and that they stop laying at their season. can anyone tell me what that season is? this could be perfectly normal. but, i have had a lot of snake problems in the past, and that could be what is happening also. i do have a drake to encorage my girls to lay, and i have caught them sitting on my chicken/duck coop as if they were about to lay, but no eggs. the chicken coop has been searched thoroughly, but no snake. i check for eggs in the morning, evening, and once or twice in the afternoon. also, more than eighteen hens have been laying 4 eggs a day. i have not found any shells or evidence that my hens are eating the eggs, and they don't seem interested in the eggs until i pick them up. (must be hoping that i drop one so that they can eat the yolk... had that happen once.) sooo, can i please have some help!!!!!

2. DustinT

DustinT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Leavenworth, KS
    I'm having the same problem with my chickens. I've been lucky to get an egg every couple days. I figured it is related to the fact that the days are getting shorter. I didn't expect them to stop laying so early. I thought about putting a light on a timer to make sure they have a 14hr day.

3. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

that is what i thought... what are they doing stopping laying early? they are pretty young... does that make a difference?[​IMG]

4. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    My two cayuga hens stopped laying 3 days ago, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe this is normal for them?? Our ducks are 8 months old and these are the first ducks we have ever had, so I don't know what to expect. The days are getting shorter though, so I hope this is normal. [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    All of your guys cases are perfectly normal. Ducks need to give their bodies a break once in awhile and will just randomly stop laying. This is especially common in young layers. You will get more eggs later this year or defiantly around spring.

1 person likes this.
  6. blakescayuga

blakescayuga New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    My sons brought a trio of cayugas about two months ago. As expected after a week to settle in the hens laid an egg each but that's it, none since. It's mid summer and the days are long so I don't understand why they've stopped now. Their cages and free range, they seem happy and healthy and I've found no evidence of them being eaten. I see the hen in the best box occasionally but nothing. All three are between 1-3years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by