1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Why did my chicken die?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickabiddys, Nov 6, 2012.

1. chickabiddys

chickabiddys Hatching

Nov 6, 2012
    My silkie chicken, Olive, died a few days ago. I am unaware of the reasons as to why she died? She was sneezing, but she was playing and happy 2 hours before she past. Olive was 3 weeks old, did I keep the heat lamp on her too long? Was she too cold? Was this the common "BIRD FLU?"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG] Apart from the sneezing, did she show any other signs of anything being wrong. Poop normal? eating, drinking etc?

3. chickabiddys

chickabiddys Hatching

Nov 6, 2012
    I am new to chicken breeding, but her poop was seemingly runnier than usual. Her head was down and she was very lazy.If it's a cold, could the sickness spread to the others?

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Songster

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    A young chick with watery poo could possibly be coccidiosis. It is often seen in aging birds three to six weeks in age. I often feed medicated food to all my chicks and new adult birds medicated water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by