Why did my chicken die?

EJPedrazzi

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Salinas, CA
This morning I went out to the coop to clean it, and one of my hens who was a year and a half old, one of my best layers, literally fell off her perch in the night. I found her with her head tucked under and eyes closed like she's still asleep, on the ground under the perch. We have 13 hens and they were all huddled together last night like usual and it wasn't unusually cold for this time of year (we live on the central coast in California). She looks healthy and has laid eggs the last two days (yesterday's egg being unusually large).
Any idea on how she died? I'm worried if it's a disease that it may affect the other chickens, or whether it was just undetermined natural causes.

Thanks

Emily

Sorry to hear about your hen. I would check her vent to see if she was egg bound and her body for parasites. Chickens hide illnesses and often it is too late for treatments. Possibly she fell off the perch and broke her neck or had a heart attack?

Thank you - yes, that's what I was thinking maybe just a heart attack or something. I'm hoping it's something I could've prevented :(

I'm going to thoroughly clean the coop today and put lots of fresh hay and shavings in, dust it and them and get some wormer for them this weekend and hopefully keep them all in good health. She's the first hen we've lost in one and a half years - very sad.

I recommend that you inspect your birds for lice/mites. Mites can bring a chicken down quickly. I dont believe you're dealing with a disease neither. I had the same thing happen to my favorite Black Star about 5 years ago. I believe she was egg impacted, not sure though. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom