why did my chickens poop their guts out and die?

kurto

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
I had 2 chickens about 2 weeks old. Two days ago one suddenly died for no apparant reason. Today got two more baby chicks, 12 hours later the two new chicks have pooped out their guts (literally) and are dead. Also, the 2nd original chicken is dead but no guts.

My 2 year old daughter and the neighbor brought them out to me from the brooding box and showed me. Not sure if they literally squeezed them too hard or what. Though, I doubt this happened as they are pretty timid around the chickens. I did notice two large spiders hiding out in the box. Not sure if that is significant. Just common house spiders. Would there have been contamination in the box from the first chick that finally caught up with the rest?

It did seem a little odd that this morning when I added the two new chicks to the brooder that they did not seem near as active as the original two had when I first got them. Perhaps they were sick to begin with.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Squeezed.
hmm.png

I just noticed my little 3 day old Silkie has a gut coming out too... and I dont have any kids. This happened overnight, and I KNOW I didnt squeeze it. I really hope it wont die... =(
I had it hatch under a heat lamp because its mama abandoned her and her older sister, fleeing from a storm. They are tiny little fluff balls. Very fragile. I heard it happens when they have a week muscle to hold it in. I just wish I knew how to put it back in! Hate to see her in pain...

I just noticed my little 3 day old Silkie has a gut coming out too... and I dont have any kids. This happened overnight, and I KNOW I didnt squeeze it. I really hope it wont die... =(
I had it hatch under a heat lamp because its mama abandoned her and her older sister, fleeing from a storm. They are tiny little fluff balls. Very fragile. I heard it happens when they have a week muscle to hold it in. I just wish I knew how to put it back in! Hate to see her in pain...

Just got back from the vet with my chick. This condition is like a human hernia. It is caused by having a weak muscle. If noticed early, it is treatable with lots of patience and care. It needs to be put back in a few times a day (if it keeps coming out, like in my chick's case). Sometimes it only requires one time. Basically until the chick grows stronger. The doc also gave a numbing ointment to help with the pain. That costed me $25. All together, I ended up paying $85, with self home care after. Its worth a little life though.

Back
Top Bottom