why did my chickens stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmetzger, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jmetzger

jmetzger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Baltimore, OH
    I got my chickens in march. All was going well till just recently. They have stopped laying. Any idea why?
    Jeff from Baltimore, OH

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    They are on strike, just like mine!! i told mine today, they weren't gona get to go outside and play any more till they start laying. And i mean't it.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    When the days shorten then chickens lay fewer eggs. That is why some choose to add supplemental lighting during the winter- to increase egg production.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    What breed of layers do you have?

Stop completely?

I expect adding some extra light of the morning might help you some [​IMG]

Good luck

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I was surprised to find one of my 30 week old pullets is molting. She suddenly stopped laying 2 weeks ago. She had been a good layer until then. I picked her up the other day and discovered her back feathers are detaching & floating away. I wasn't expecting a molt this young. The other pullets have continued laying, though a little slower - but they all started later than she. So I posted on this forum, and was told that young pullets will have a "mini-molt" at 9 months old. Their first big molt is at 18 months. The one-year molt, I expected. The mini was new to me. Maybe yours are in a mini, too?

6. jmetzger

jmetzger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Baltimore, OH
    I am embarresed to say that I am not quite sure what kind of chickens I have. I have one white rooster and 3 other kinds of chickens. I never got 3 eggs a day. The most eggs I got were two per day. Maybe one of the chickens is a rooster as well?? I had heard of the molting issue, but not quite sure how long this will last. I think I will introduce more light, extend the period of light, and see what happens.
    Thanks for all of your input.
    Jeff from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by